Location of Bacsafalva

  • tskvarenina@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
      HI,

      In researching the Ellis Island site, most of the individuals with my
      surname were from Bosany, but one is listed as being from Bacsafalva.

      Is (was in 1910) there such a name, or is this likely a corrupted
      spelling of Bosany?

      Thanks,

      Tim
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2001
        At 01:14 AM 4/28/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Bacsafalva.

        BACSA, Hungary 67.6 miles WNW of Budapest jsut a few miles from the Slovak
        border. I do not know Hungarian but the falva may be a suffix. I think
        "falu" is village in Hungarian.

        John
      • Alan ANTOSKA
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2001
          Ahoj Tim,
          To be confirmed, but it is likely that Bacsafalva is the
          same place as Bosany. Bacsafalva is spelt according to
          Magyar (Hugarian) rules which was the official language
          till the end of WW1.
          Czechoslovakia came to be in 1919, the official language
          ceased to be Magyar and places were then spelt according
          to Slovak spelling concepts.

          --- tskvarenina@... wrote:
          > HI,
          >
          > In researching the Ellis Island site, most of the
          > individuals with my
          > surname were from Bosany, but one is listed as being
          > from Bacsafalva.
          >
          > Is (was in 1910) there such a name, or is this likely a
          > corrupted
          > spelling of Bosany?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tim

          =====
          May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
          Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

          Alan

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Alan ANTOSKA <aantoska@y...> wrote:
            > Ahoj Tim,
            > To be confirmed, but it is likely that Bacsafalva is the
            > same place as Bosany. Bacsafalva is spelt according to
            > Magyar (Hugarian) rules which was the official language
            > till the end of WW1.
            > Czechoslovakia came to be in 1919, the official language
            > ceased to be Magyar and places were then spelt according
            > to Slovak spelling concepts.

            moz^no ? talán ?

            Bos^any (Sv) Bossány (H) is located 60 miles ENE of Bratislava
            and 5 miles ENE of Topol'c^any (Sv) Nagy (large) tapolcsány (H)
            which is also the name of the Slovak okres (district) Topol'c^any.

            Before WW I, it was located in old Nyitra Megye (county) and in
            the Hungarian járás (district) of Nyitra-Zsámbokrét.
            There were 2 villages called Kis (little) Bossány and Nagy
            (large) Bossány.
            Now called Vel'ké (large) Bos^any and Malé (little) Bos^any
            in Slovak.

            R.C. matriky (1691-1899) for Vel'ké Bos^any and Malé Bos^any
            do exist at the Nitra-Ivanka Archives under Vel'ké Bos^any.

            Place name suffix -falu, -falva does mean village in Hungarian.

            Bácsa (H) is located 67 miles WNW of Budapest across the Danube
            River in Gyo"r-Moson-Sopron Megye (county) 3 miles from Gyo"rúfalu
            and near the current Slovakia border in the C^ic^ov (Sv) Csicsó (H)
            area.
            Formerly (before WW I) located in Hungarian járás (district) of
            Tósziget-csilizköz.
            A special case.