Re: [S-R] Anton/Antonius Pisarcik

  • John
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
      Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Vel'ká Franková, Slovakia, formerly known as Nagyfrankova, Szepes, Hungary.
      Krsty 1750-1777 -
      Krsty 1777-1896
      Manželstvá 1750-1801, 1812-1899
      Úmrtia 1751-1799, 1812-1899 -

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, rosemarkoff@... wrote:

      > Vilo:
      > Thanks for sending this link. This appears to be the book of the same church records that I checked, which I believe only went to 1883 for the marriage records.
      > Thanks.
      > Rosemary

    • rmark40773
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
        Very valuable tool. Has helped me already. I do have an additional question. I notice in the baptisimal records I see a cross by a name here and there. What does that mean?

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
          >>> I notice in the baptisimal records I see a cross by a name here and there. What does that mean? <<<

          The person died.
        • rmark40773
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
            Died at birth?

            >>> I notice in the baptisimal records I see a cross by a name here and there. What does that mean? <<<

            The person died.

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
              The beliefs of the day were that if a baby died without baptism, the soul could not enter into heave but remained in purgatory.

              If you notice, most babies were Baptized on the day of Birth or the following day.

              I would think that the child died soon after Baptism.

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              >>> I notice in the baptisimal records I see a cross by a name here and there. What does that mean? <<<

              The person died.

            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
                Death was not necessarily at or near birth. I have seen records, even of
                folks to migrated to America, who died in their 50's and 60's and someone
                told the church back home (in Slovakia) and the baptismal records had a
                cross and a date added.

                _____

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
                  Thanks so much, Vilo. This seems like a great tool, especially since I don't know Slovak.
                  My father's family is from Slovakia but I don't have much information about them. His parents Joseph Molitoris and Anna Weller were first generation here in the United States. I know his mother's parent's names (Joseph Weller and Mary Torbik), but for his father I don't know his father's name and his mother's name was Rozalia, but I have no last name. Grandma used to talk about Spisska Stadta Ves but my aunt says she was born in a small village farther east of there. I haven't been able to find information for them in Slovakia on FamilySearch.com.
                  I didn't know about this tool, so I will try finding something again.
                  Thanks again,
                  Barb Molitoris

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 25, 2013
                    Barb,

                    I will try to help you

                    Have you used the Ellis Island records?  Have you looked in County records for Citizenship records?

                    Josef Molitoris [Mohlee-tohrrees] immigrated in 1922, age 19.  Home town Matiasovce [Mahteeash-ohvceh] in Spis [Speesh] area.
                    https://www.google.com/search?q=Sukanic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#fp=b60ef2c46460515a&q=matiasovce+slovakia&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial
                    I found Marya Torbik from Velky Lipnik came in 1909 age 26
                    https://www.google.com/search?q=MORAVANY+NAD+V%C3%81HOM&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#fp=b60ef2c46460515a&q=velky+lipnik+slovakia&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial

                    Weller is a common Jewish immigrant name What religion were they?

                    Send as much info as you can.

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 26, 2013
                      Vilo,
                      Here is all the information I have. I knew my grandparents, but beyond them, everyone lived in the old country.
                      Joseph MOLITORIS was born about 1901 in
                      October in Prussia (Possibly Nowy Sacz, Poland?).
                      October 8, 1922 Josef Molitoris arrived in New York, New York, on October 8,
                      1922, at the age of 19. Josef arrived on the SS President Arthur from Bremen. His
                      mother was Rozalia Molitoris. She remained in Slovakia. Going to Boonton, NJ to
                      live with his brother, Stefan Molitoris,after he arrived. He came from Matiasovce, Czechoslovakia. (New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957)
                      Anna WELLER was born on July 31, 1898,
                      in Prussia (possibly Svabi, Slovakia?). Her parents were Josef WELLER and Mary
                      TORBIK. They remained in Slovakia.
                      Anna Weller left Rotterdam,
                      Netherlands, for Boston, Massachusetts, arriving on February 21, 1921, at the
                      age of 23. (Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943)
                      They married in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne,
                      Pennsylvania, USA and had three sons and two daughters between 1926 and 1934. (Joseph,
                      the oldest son, was my father (1926-1987). After serving in the US Navy in
                      World War II, Joseph married Virginia Derr in 1948 in Chicago, Cook, Illinois,
                      USA and lived there.)
                      Joseph Molitoris (my grandfather) was
                      29 years old and lived in North Branch, Pennsylvania with his wife, Anna, one son,
                      and one daughter. (1930 United States Federal Census) This young daughter died
                      soon after this census.
                      In 1933 Joseph and Anna Molitoris
                      lived in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania (U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989) and in
                      in 1935. (U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989)
                      On April 1, 1940, Joseph Malotoris was
                      39 years old and lived in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania with his wife, Anna, 3
                      sons, and daughter. (1940 United States Federal Census)
                       Joseph
                      MOLITORIS died in 1962 in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, USA and was buried
                      in Sacred Heart Cemmetery in Dallas, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, USA. Anna (WELLER)
                      MOLITORIS died on April 15, 1983, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, at the age of
                      84, and was buried next to her husband.

                    • Joyce Herbeck
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 26, 2013
                        William,

                        I just came across this message and was wondering if there is a similar "translation tool" that I could use for Czech records.  I have to rely on a Czech friend to decipher anything I come across that I think might be applicable to records in the Trebon area.  Any suggestions you could give would be apprecited.  Thanks.

                        Joyce Herbeck

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 27, 2013
                          The Family History wiki has a good selection of language aids.  There is a link to a Czech geneological word list at the bottom of this page.

                          https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Czech_Republic_Language_and_Languages/

                          kika

                        • William C. Wormuth
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 27, 2013
                            Joyce,

                            I have no info on the Cech translation but you could use Google translation.

                            Vilo

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 27, 2013
                              I assumed that the cross was a way to help the priest at the time that a couple was to get married. If he needed to go back and check if/how closely the couple was related, if there were several people with the same name, he could safely ignore the records with the +. The records I have seen mostly had the + if the person died any time before they married.

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R Plichta" <frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                              > Death was not necessarily at or near birth. I have seen records, even of
                              > folks to migrated to America, who died in their 50's and 60's and someone
                              > told the church back home (in Slovakia) and the baptismal records had a
                              > cross and a date added.
                              >

                              > _____

                            • Stacey Palmer
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 27, 2013
                                Does it mean that the person died before baptism? Or did they go back at
                                anytime to mark a cross in the record
                                On Aug 25, 2013 4:09 PM, "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                > **

                                > there. What does that mean? <<<
                                >
                                > The person died.

                              • John
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 27, 2013
                                  Anytime for the cross. Often with a DOD indicated.