Re: May I introduce myself?

  • sepalmer8
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
      Wow, everyone has been so helpful, Thank you all. I just have to learn how to use this information.
      My Grandfather;s American name was Frank Pollock, but when he came to the US at the age of 8, his name was Pal Polyak, the same name as his father. My grandfather belonged to a Roman Catholic church. Frank was born Oct 7 1901 GGfather Pal Polyak(Paul Polak, Pollock)born Dec 15 1878. Paul states he was born in Latky Slovokia. Frank came to US at a later date with his mother Maria and passenger record states that last residence was Békescsaba. I just don't see any records on the internet for Latky Slovakia. I don't know if I need to request them from the town? I wish there was a list of instructions how to find these records. I am still looking for Maria's maiden name. Thank you all for all the information.I am studying it all and trying to learn

      > You have received a great deal of good advice in previous replies.
      >
      > What was the RELIGION of Pal POLYAK? We need that because the records for births, deaths and marriages were kepT by the church.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sepalmer8" <sepalmer8@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all, my name is Stacey and I am new to genealogy. I am researching my Slovak Roots and I am reading and learning, but it seems I have a long way to go. My great grandfather, and grandfather (Pal,Pavel Polyak)both grandfather and great grand father had same name. My ancestors immigrated to the U.S.(Alleghany PA) from LATKY SLOVAKIA IN 1910. I am looking at a lot of posts and websites,but feel a little over whelmed. Any suggestions were to start looking for databases, and how to read them? I would be so grateful if anyone can give me a starting point.
      > >
      > > Stacey

    • Nick Kerpchar
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
        Stacey,
        Take all the information you posted here to the nearest Mormon Church family history center and tell them you are researching your family's genealogy and can they help point you in the right direction.  They will most likely sit you down at a computer, bring up their version of Ancestory.Com (for free) and help you input your information into the software program/database and see what comes up on the screen.  There may be a long list on your ancestors' records ... or nothing.  That is the way it goes.  BUT, the person helping you may have several suggestions on how to proceed.  That is how this genealogy research goes.  You go one step at a time.  The most important thing is that you DO  NOT  become discouraged.

        As you become more comfortable with genealogy research you will hit what is known as "brick walls."  Well, brick walls are those moments when it seems like you can go no further.  Poo-baa!  That just means that you have to look at the target (ancestor) at a different angle.  Again, as I, and a few others that have responded to you have suggested, take single steps in researching your family's history.  It is not as easy, mostly, as on television for movie stars/etc.  If you have not guessed that is all pre-researched and scripted ... if only it were that easy!.

        You have most likely been given a lot of information.  Yes, you most certainly have to read it through and think about it.  Here is a VERY important suggestion: as you gather information about your ancestors, please write it in a notebook AND document the source you got it from ... that way you will not be repeating the same thing over and over again.

        Ya know, as small and clustered as the villages were in the days leading up to and including the Austrian - Hungarian Empire, do not be surprised that you are related to many of the people/families in that village.

        Well.  Stacey, print out all of the advice you have been given and read it through.  Everyone here, in my experience, wants you to find your family's history.  And please remember that your ancestors did the best they could by THEIR standards, not our present day standards.  The fact that they survived, you live.  In other words, do not treat your ancestors harshly by today's standards.
        I wish you every success in your search,  Nick

        ________________________________

        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@...> wrote:

        > You have received a great deal of good advice in previous replies.
        >
        > What was the RELIGION of Pal POLYAK? We need that because the records for births, deaths and marriages were kepT by the church.
        >
        > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "sepalmer8" <sepalmer8@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello all, my name is Stacey and I am new to genealogy. I am researching my Slovak Roots and I am reading and learning, but it seems I have a long way to go. My great grandfather, and grandfather (Pal,Pavel Polyak)both grandfather and great grand father had same name. My ancestors immigrated to the U.S.(Alleghany PA) from LATKY SLOVAKIA IN 1910. I am looking at a lot of posts and websites,but feel a little over whelmed. Any suggestions were to start looking for databases, and how to read them? I would be so grateful if anyone can give me a starting point.
        > >
        > > Stacey

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
          Your Paulus (Pavol) Record Found in Records for the church in Detvianska Huta [Dehtveeahn-skeh Huhtah] Church records:   https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23415-23294-73?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FPY:2122056211

          The name of the church is Nanebovzatia Panny Márie [Nahnehbohv-zahteeah Pahn-nee Mah-ree-eh meaning  Assumption of Lady Mary

          Your father's record for 1901 is not available here.

          Re Békescsaba [Behkehsh-chahbah] Is a town in Southern Hungary.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9k%C3%A9scsaba
          Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Latky+Slovakia&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

          In other near-by churches the records do not go to 1901

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Wow, everyone has been so helpful, Thank you all. I just have to learn how to use this information.
          My Grandfather;s American name was Frank Pollock, but when he came to the US at the age of 8, his name was Pal Polyak, the same name as his father. My grandfather belonged to a Roman Catholic church. Frank was born Oct 7 1901 GGfather Pal Polyak(Paul Polak, Pollock)born Dec 15 1878. Paul states he was born in Latky Slovokia. Frank came to US at a later date with his mother Maria and passenger record states that last residence was Békescsaba. I just don't see any records on the internet for Latky Slovakia. I don't know if I need to request them from the town? I wish there was a list of instructions how to find these records. I am still looking for Maria's maiden name. Thank you all for all the information.I am studying it all and trying to learn

          > You have received a great deal of good advice in previous replies.
          >
          > What was the RELIGION of Pal POLYAK? We need that because the records for births, deaths and marriages were kepT by the church.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sepalmer8" <sepalmer8@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all, my name is Stacey and I am new to genealogy. I am researching my Slovak Roots and I am reading and learning, but it seems I have a long way to go. My great grandfather, and grandfather (Pal,Pavel Polyak)both grandfather and great grand father had same name. My ancestors immigrated to the U.S.(Alleghany PA) from LATKY SLOVAKIA IN 1910. I am looking at a lot of posts and websites,but feel a little over whelmed. Any suggestions were to start looking for databases, and how to read them? I would be so grateful if anyone can give me a starting point.
          > >
          > > Stacey

        • John
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
            >>> My Grandfather;s American name was Frank Pollock, but when he came to the US at the age of 8, his name was Pal Polyak, the same name as his father. My grandfather belonged to a Roman Catholic church. Frank was born Oct 7 1901 GGfather Pal Polyak(Paul Polak, Pollock)born Dec 15 1878. Paul states he was born in Latky Slovokia. <<<

            Vilo located the birth record at Detvianska Huta 15 Dec 1879 at house Latky 1.
            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23415-23294-73?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FPY:2122056211

            Page 122/142.

            That said, the version of Latky is the one in the former Nograd Megye = county. However, it borders on the adjacent county (to add to the potential confusion).

            That is an important point "cleared up". Now you have the church records back to 1763.

            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-23415-23588-79?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FPY:2122056211#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-CMB%3An1602097321%3Fcc%3D1554443

            Krsty 1763-1820 -- Úmrtia 1790-1830 -
            Krsty 1831-1844 -- Úmrtia 1831-1844 -
            Krsty 1844-1853, 1873-1880 -
            Krsty 1853-1873 -
            Manželstvá 1778-1802 -
            Manželstvá 1803-1844 â€"
            Rodná kniha 1792 â€"
            Birmovaní 1803, 1813, 1830 (1829 nesprávný) -
            Manželstvá 1844-1853 â€"
            Rôzne záznamy 1881-1882 -
            Manželstvá 1853-1886 -
            Úmrtia 1844-1853, 1878 -
            Úmrtia 1853-1878 -
            Vol. Nr. 340A Krsty 1880-1887 -
            Vol. Nr. 340A (pokrač.) Krsty 1880-1887 -
            Vol. Nr. 340B Krsty 1888-1925 -
            Vol. Nr. 340C Krsty 1887-1911 -
            Vol. Nr. 340C (pokrač.) Krsty 1887-1911 -
            Vol. Nr. 345A Úmrtia 1878-1894 -
            Vol. Nr. 345B Úmrtia 1895-1909 -
            Vol. Nr. 343A Manželstvá 1887-1934 -
            Vol. Nr. 340D Krsty 1787-1895 -
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
              Additional Info:

              I was interested in your Great-Grandmother's ethnic origin, since she was from Hungary and married a Slovak.  Most Slovaks spoke Hungarian but in my experience, I have never run across, intermarriage. I found that Békescsaba was settled by Slovak Lutherans beginning 1n 1718.
              http://www.bekescsaba.hu/history_of_our_city.htm

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Wow, everyone has been so helpful, Thank you all. I just have to learn how to use this information.
              My Grandfather;s American name was Frank Pollock, but when he came to the US at the age of 8, his name was Pal Polyak, the same name as his father. My grandfather belonged to a Roman Catholic church. Frank was born Oct 7 1901 GGfather Pal Polyak(Paul Polak, Pollock)born Dec 15 1878. Paul states he was born in Latky Slovokia. Frank came to US at a later date with his mother Maria and passenger record states that last residence was Békescsaba. I just don't see any records on the internet for Latky Slovakia. I don't know if I need to request them from the town? I wish there was a list of instructions how to find these records. I am still looking for Maria's maiden name. Thank you all for all the information.I am studying it all and trying to learn

              > You have received a great deal of good advice in previous replies.
              >
              > What was the RELIGION of Pal POLYAK? We need that because the records for births, deaths and marriages were kepT by the church.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sepalmer8" <sepalmer8@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all, my name is Stacey and I am new to genealogy. I am researching my Slovak Roots and I am reading and learning, but it seems I have a long way to go. My great grandfather, and grandfather (Pal,Pavel Polyak)both grandfather and great grand father had same name. My ancestors immigrated to the U.S.(Alleghany PA) from LATKY SLOVAKIA IN 1910. I am looking at a lot of posts and websites,but feel a little over whelmed. Any suggestions were to start looking for databases, and how to read them? I would be so grateful if anyone can give me a starting point.
              > >
              > > Stacey

            • John
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 23, 2013
                >>> Frank came to US at a later date with his mother Maria and passenger record states that last residence was Bekescsaba. <<<

                CURRENT MAP
                To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

                Bekescsaba is far away from Latky. 46°41' N 21°06' E
              • John
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                  >>> [Frank] came to US at a later date with his mother Maria and passenger record states that last residence was Békescsaba. <<<

                  If we look at the actual passenger manifest and NOT a transcription, you will see the name of the nearest relative, her MOTHER.

                  Paulik, Pal Bekescsaba, Hungary 8 1902 1910
                  Paulik, Maria Bekescsaba, Hungary 29 1881 1910
                  Paulik, Maria Bekescsaba, Hungary 0 1910 1910

                  Paulik, Pal Bekescsaba, Hungary 30 1879 1909

                  ELLIS ISLAND LISTINGS
                  I use the Morse front end, Gold Form, for researching Ellis Island entries. http://www.stevemorse.org/

                  You can use just a few letters for the name or village and check off several language choices, eg: Hungarian, Slovak, Ruthenian. Be aware that transcription errors abound and so you should always look at the manifest, which often has two pages.

                  http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/engine/gold.php?uid=13469645809011346964593816&referrer=httpstevemorse.orgellis2ellisgold.html&mode=running&time=1377344875224&arrivalPort=ellisgold&email=&firstkind=close&FNM=&kind=close&LNM=Paulik&companionkind=close&CNM=&townkind=close&town=Bekescsaba&SHP=&prtkind=close&PRT=&SYR=&EYR=&MONTH=&DAY=&SAGE=&EAGE=&offset=1&MRTL=&BSYR=&BEYR=&pagesize=50&CGD=&FLD=name&FLD=yoa&FLD=age&FLD=passrec&FLD=town&FLD=tmanifest&FLD=smanifest&FLD=yob&FLD=image&FLD=annotations&SRT=name&DIRECTION=asc

                  I see the surname as KARITAR. Husband is Janos.

                  I also see numbers attached to the entry and I will let others explain the significance of 6-86616-10/19/40-305
                • John
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                    You should be able to find the 1881 birth record of Maria KARITAR in the church records, found online at:

                    https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/237806?availability=Family%20History%20Library

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                      I have made a terrible mistake. Last night I saw the someone saved what I thought was my grandfather's Passenger log to their relative (ancestry,com)so now I do not know who my greatmother is. The information was wrong for Frank and Maria. I will look at the information given to me about Paul Polak. Thank you all so much for the information, I will study it right now.
                      Stacey

                      > Additional Info:
                      >
                      > I was interested in your Great-Grandmother's ethnic origin, since she was from Hungary and married a Slovak.  Most Slovaks spoke Hungarian but in my experience, I have never run across, intermarriage. I found that Békescsaba was settled by Slovak Lutherans beginning 1n 1718.
                      > http://www.bekescsaba.hu/history_of_our_city.htm
                      >
                      > Vilo
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • sepalmer8
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                        Oh Thank you Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me! I would never be able to find this. I have looked at these records, and I just cant read them. I see that I must learn to read Slovak. My father didn't ever know where his father was from. So all of this has been such a mystery.
                        Stacey

                        > Your Paulus (Pavol) Record Found in Records for the church in Detvianska Huta [Dehtveeahn-skeh Huhtah] Church records:   https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23415-23294-73?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FPY:2122056211
                        >
                        > The name of the church is Nanebovzatia Panny Márie [Nahnehbohv-zahteeah Pahn-nee Mah-ree-eh meaning  Assumption of Lady Mary
                        >
                        > Your father's record for 1901 is not available here.
                        >
                        > Re Békescsaba [Behkehsh-chahbah] Is a town in Southern Hungary.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9k%C3%A9scsaba
                        > Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Latky+Slovakia&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl
                        >
                        > In other near-by churches the records do not go to 1901
                        >
                        > Vilo
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                          Stacia,

                          You may write me at: senzus@... and I will help you to read the records.  I do this because I can send the records, translated as jpg.

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________
                          Oh Thank you Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me! I would never be able to find this. I have looked at these records, and I just cant read them. I see that I must learn to read Slovak. My father didn't ever know where his father was from. So all of this has been such a mystery.
                          Stacey

                          > Your Paulus (Pavol) Record Found in Records for the church in Detvianska Huta [Dehtveeahn-skeh Huhtah] Church records:   https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23415-23294-73?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FPY:2122056211
                          >
                          > The name of the church is Nanebovzatia Panny Márie [Nahnehbohv-zahteeah Pahn-nee Mah-ree-eh meaning  Assumption of Lady Mary
                          >
                          > Your father's record for 1901 is not available here.
                          >
                          > Re Békescsaba [Behkehsh-chahbah] Is a town in Southern Hungary.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9k%C3%A9scsaba
                          > Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Latky+Slovakia&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl
                          >
                          > In other near-by churches the records do not go to 1901
                          >
                          > Vilo
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Judy
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                            Stacy,

                            These are not written in Slovak - page headers are in Hungarian and handwritten entries are in Latin.

                            Judy

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sepalmer8" <sepalmer8@...> wrote:

                            > Oh Thank you Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me! I would never be able to find this. I have looked at these records, and I just cant read them. I see that I must learn to read Slovak. My father didn't ever know where his father was from. So all of this has been such a mystery.
                            > Stacey
                            >

                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Your Paulus (Pavol) Record Found in Records for the church in Detvianska Huta [Dehtveeahn-skeh Huhtah] Church records:   https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-23415-23294-73?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FPY:2122056211
                            > >
                            > > The name of the church is Nanebovzatia Panny Márie [Nahnehbohv-zahteeah Pahn-nee Mah-ree-eh meaning  Assumption of Lady Mary
                            > >
                            > > Your father's record for 1901 is not available here.
                            > >
                            > > Re Békescsaba [Behkehsh-chahbah] Is a town in Southern Hungary.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9k%C3%A9scsaba
                            > > Map: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Latky+Slovakia&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl
                            > >
                            > > In other near-by churches the records do not go to 1901
                            > >
                            > > Vilo

                          • sepalmer8
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 24, 2013
                              Vilo,
                              your full email does not show up on the page. my email is sepalmer8 at gmail. com