Re: [S-R] Question about given name change

  • Nancy Gibbs
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 21, 2013
      Kathy,
        My Bertha is definitely a female.  At least that is what it says on the U.S. census were I found my her & my great grandfather.  :)

      >________________________________

    • Kathy Ax
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 21, 2013
        Yes I understand. When I was looking at manifests sometimes I came along one with Berti and It was female. Happy hunting. Kathy

        ________________________________
          My Bertha is definitely a female.  At least that is what it says on the U.S. census were I found my her & my great grandfather.  :)

        >________________________________

      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
          Nancy,
          I don't know what the relationship was back then between the given names BERTHA and BARBARA(with its variant spellings).
          I do know that my paternal grandmother was listing on the passenger manifest(1903) as BARBARA TARTAL, but she was commonly known after this as BERTHA. The subject came up a few months ago, I think on the Delphia site, and at least a few posted about some connection in their ancestors' given names.

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

          > >I found my great grandfather in the PA 1900 Federal Census living with his brother. �A sister is also in the household. �Her name is given as BERTHA. �My question is what name(s) should I be looking for in the Slovakia record? �I am trying to find a birth record for her. �Thank you.
          > >Nancy

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
            The spelling of Berta [Behrr-tah), in birth/Baptismal records is Bertha but the "th", is not pronounced as we do it.

            The same for Thomas, Elizabeth...etc.  When searching the name Bertha, look for Bertha.

            Vilo