Re: How to Post/How to Reply to a Post???

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
      Tom,
      Here is a set of guidelines that is sent to everyone when they join SR.
      CK

      Slovak-Roots Guidelines
      This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil, and engaging.
      * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
      * Always include a relevant topic, village, or surname in the message subject.
      * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost. If you must reply to an existing message that will change the original thread, change the Subject line to the new topic followed by the old subject:
      New topic was Re: Old topic. A simpler way is make a new e-mail
      * We stick to genealogy topics only. The Yahoo group "Slovak World" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World and the Delphi Forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/ are great place to discuss current events, recipes, and other topics of general interests.
      * Instructions on changing your e-mail subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
      o Search – Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
      o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It is not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it has been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
      o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion.
      o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
      * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While some members may seem "expert", there is always something new for everyone to learn!
      * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have over 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

      Thank you.

      Your Moderators

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

      > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable directions/suggestions on posting?
      > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.
      >
      > TOM

    • t.salony
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
        whomever,
        [Yes, I'm replying to my own post intentionally.]
        Maybe I'm the only one still using a pc to view the site & viewing the
        actual SLOVAK-ROOTS site, rather than viewing each individual email?
        Maybe I'm the only one who finds great benefit in being able to view
        the REPLYs in a logical succession, as they relate, even slightly, to
        the original message?

        TOM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" wrote:

        > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable
        directions/suggestions on posting?
        > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand
        today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has
        copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to
        interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.

        > TOM

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
          Tom,

          I suspect you are up against a rubber wall (as opposed to a brick wall). It will seem to give or change and then it bounces back to the way it was.

          I am responding as an individual user. I have no special knowledge of how the threads are put together, other than some people have their computers set up to answer before they quote the post they are answering, and some people are set up to quote first and answer after, which sometimes looses me. Sometimes I think a person is re-posting with no comment when I simply do not scroll down far enough to find their answer buried after the long quotation.

          You aren't alone in reading at the S-R website (Yahoo Groups). Doing so allows me to skip over messages of no interest and keeps my personal email from becoming cluttered. I have it set up to the title and first line are shown, so I can often see what point is being made.

          Good luck on finding some order. The posting styles of everyone seem quite different, and we are not edited to keep things uniform. That sure would be a hard and thankless job!

          Ron
          PS Overall Yahoo rules of conduct seem to be at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/local/guidelines.html

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

          > whomever,
          > [Yes, I'm replying to my own post intentionally.]
          > Maybe I'm the only one still using a pc to view the site & viewing the
          > actual SLOVAK-ROOTS site, rather than viewing each individual email?
          > Maybe I'm the only one who finds great benefit in being able to view
          > the REPLYs in a logical succession, as they relate, even slightly, to
          > the original message?
          >
          > TOM
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" wrote:
          > >
          > > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable
          > directions/suggestions on posting?
          > > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand
          > today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has
          > copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to
          > interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.
          > >
          > > TOM

        • Kathy Ax
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
            Each individual subject should have a thread. But if it's a new subject, which there are quite a few, it will have only one answer. Generally you would have to scroll down the email to see the thread as others have answered. Hope this helps. Kathy

            ________________________________

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" wrote:

            > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable
            directions/suggestions on posting?
            > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand
            today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has
            copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to
            interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.

            > TOM

          • t.salony
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
              Ron,

              >>>"...some people are set up
              to quote first and answer after, which sometimes looses me. Sometimes I think a
              person is re-posting with no comment when I simply do not scroll down far enough
              to find their answer buried after the long quotation." <<<

              Yes, I inquired about that very thought not long ago. I'm sure I'll remember to look further the next time I think someone hasn't posted anything but the Subject.
              I have never really bother even looking at my yahoo email, as I have never used it for anything but SLOVAK-ROOTS, and have for quite a few years read & tried to understand every message **as I read it under "Topics".
              I'm glad I looked at the emails, as I see now that someone responded there, but NOT in the group.

              TOM