New member

  • kika3_au
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
      Hi everyone,
      I am new to the group. Research that I have done on my Slovak roots has led me to the town of Namestovo, Arva megye where the Driemala and Tommunyak families lived, also the town of Dolny Kubin home of a branch of the Krcsmery family and Oravasky Podzamok, where I believe some of my Palko ancestors were.

      I wanted to let you know of a potential resource for those of you with Greek Catholic families from Eastern Slovakia.

      Over the past 18 months I have been looking at a collection of films from the Berehove archives for the Munkacs Greek catholic diocese that covered parts of Eastern Slovakia. The FHL listings for this collection are in Cyrillic and do not indicate place names, which means these records are a bit of a mystery. I have started to create an index for these films and the results of my efforts to date can be found at www.carpathianreflections.com

      When I first started the project I expected to discover all the parish registers from the Maramaros county. What I have found is a mixture of parish records including a very miscellaneous collection of birth death and marriage records for various towns in various parts of the former AustroHungarian empire for a few years (it is not a complete collection). There are also lists of divorces, religious census documents, and a lot of correspondence relating to corrections of the parish records and permissions for consanguineous marriages. This last type of correspondence often contains family tree sketches so can be very useful.

      You may discover the odd missing parish record for your town of interest. I tend to update the database once every 6-8 weeks depending on how long it has taken me to go through the film.

      kika
    • zionsharav
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 15, 2014
        Hi, everyone.
        I just joined today.  I live in Israel and am researching (surprize! surprize!) my Jewish roots.  Since my families seem to have come from the Carpathians to as far west as Vranov-nad-Toplou- that is the territory I am looking at.  I noticed an interesting post from Jon about access to the 1869 Magyar Census through the LDS- it seems that there are delays.  At this time,  I would really like to see the Vranov nad Toplou-Csermerne reel # 720019 - can anyone tell me how one approachs the LDS to study their reels.  Or perhaps, there are other repositories?  Anyway, the main family names are Deutsch, Feldman, Kraus, Mittelman.  However, I do have cousins named Boyko!
        All the best and looking forward, Ari Dale
      • Samuel Ontko
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 15, 2014
          Hi Ari

          Welcome

          I find the 1869 census interesting because it does give us a glimpse of the Jewish population living in Slovakia. I do have some research interests in that village too.
          It doesn’t look like I have a copy of that census record at my library. I can order a copy and let you know what I find. Normally I would just have you order it yourself and go to a library to view it. But it doesn’t look as if that is possible in your location.

          I would point you to familysearch.org.
          If you narrow your searching to just Slovakia you will see some of your family names showing up in the indexing that is going on. It will take you some time to at least put in your family names and see what you can find.

          The 1869 census is just a snapshot but perhaps it can at least verify the presence of your family, if you have knowledge of that many generations to get you to that point.

          Sam
          Ohio

          I just joined today.  I live in Israel and am researching (surprize! surprize!) my Jewish roots.  Since my families seem to have come from the Carpathians to as far west as Vranov-nad-Toplou- that is the territory I am looking at.  I noticed an interesting post from Jon about access to the 1869 Magyar Census through the LDS- it seems that there are delays.  At this time,  I would really like to see the Vranov nad Toplou-Csermerne reel # 720019 - can anyone tell me how one approachs the LDS to study their reels.  Or perhaps, there are other repositories?  Anyway, the main family names are Deutsch, Feldman, Kraus, Mittelman.  However, I do have cousins named Boyko!
          All the best and looking forward, Ari Dale

        • William C. Wormuth

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 15, 2014
              Ari,
                  http://www.jewishgen.org/ Since you have Jewish roots I would have you look at JewishGen, they could be very useful.

                  Here are the names Vranov nad Topl’ou and the annexed villages were known by throughout their history. As you see, Cemerne was not annexed until 1970.
              2695 Vranov nad Topľou VT/PV zemplín. 1944 pričl. o. Vranovské Dlhé; 1970 pričl. o. Čemerné; 19701996 pričl. o. Hencovce.
              1773 Varano, Wranow, 1786 Waranó, Wrano, 1808 Varanó, Varannó, Waranow, Wranow, 18631913 Varannó, 1920, 19441969 Vranov, 19271944, 1969– Vranov nad Topľou [1979– č. o. Vranov]
              Vranovské Dlhé:
              1773 Varano-Hoszú-Mező, Dluhe, 1786 Warano-Hoszumeső, 1808 Varannó-Hosszúmesző, Varannó-Dluhé, Wranowské Dluhé, 18631902 Varannóhosszúmező, 19071913 Varannómező, 19201944 Vranovské Dlhé
              Čemerné:
              1773 Csemernye, Cžemerne, 1786 Cschemernye, 1808 Varannó-Csemernye, Wřanowské Cžemerné, 18631902 Varannócsemernye, 19071913 Csemernye, 1920 Vranovské Čemerné, Čemerné, 19271970
               Čemerné

              http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vranov_nad_Toplou_Vranov_nad_Toplou_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html  Vranov nad Toplou is a city of about 25,000. This link goes to a website for it that has a listing of surnames from 2005. Each time the surname is found it is entered, so the list is very long. At least you can search for your surnames.

              I just joined today.  I live in Israel and am researching (surprize! surprize!) my Jewish roots.  Since my families seem to have come from the Carpathians to as far west as Vranov-nad-Toplou- that is the territory I am looking at.  I noticed an interesting post from Jon about access to the 1869 Magyar Census through the LDS- it seems that there are delays.  At this time,  I would really like to see the Vranov nad Toplou-Csermerne reel # 720019 - can anyone tell me how one approachs the LDS to study their reels.  Or perhaps, there are other repositories?  Anyway, the main family names are Deutsch, Feldman, Kraus, Mittelman.  However, I do have cousins named Boyko!
              All the best and looking forward, Ari Dale

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 15, 2014
                >>> I would really like to see the Vranov nad Toplou-Csermerne reel # 720019 - can anyone tell me how one approaches the LDS to study their reels. <<<
                This village is in the former Zemplen Megye = county. Due to posting errors which LDS is very well aware of, the Zemplen census records are NOT online, as they are supposed to be. I have been reminding LDS of this for about a year. In the meantime, LDS will tell you that you must order the film and view it at your nearest Family History Center.