Stefan Kocis

  • Cathie McAdams
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
      Good evening everyone!

      I returned last week from 11 very lovely, and very hot, days in Spisska Nova Ves with side trips to Bankska Bystrica for a Stanley Cup celebration, Dukla, Komarnik, Zavadka and Stara Lubovna.  I didn't get to meet up with Ron, he didn't contact me until after we had left Stara Lubovna.

      Anyway, I need your assistance.  My cousin's mom had a relative by the name of Stefan Kocis.  He was born in 1892 in Czechoslovakia, she didn't know where and died in the US in 1952.  Apparently, Mr. Kocis was responsible for starting Roman Catholic churches in Ohio.  Residences include Barberton, Youngtown and Columbiana or possibly Columbus.  Mr. Kocis wasn't just a mister, he was a monsignor according to the family.  I have Googled and Binged him with no results.  There is nothing that I could find on ancestry.com or family search.org even with Soundex.

      Does anyone have any information on Stefan Kocis?

      Cathie McAdams
      Mentor OH
      Researching Turcan, Zakutcija and Repasky in Zavadka.

      Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who will drain it.

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
        Cathie,
        Your search for Kocis may require some luck. In the 1995 Slovak Census they had found 1653 Kocis in 337 locations. Your Stefan was born in 1892 and he studied for the priesthood he could have been in the range of 25 years old or older when he came to America. It is strange that a priest that was responsible for so many parishes does not have some history. Have you tried contacting the RC parishes in those towns?

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
          Familysearch.org

          Stephen G Kocis 4 jul 1892 or 14 Jul 1892, died 30 Jan 1952
          father John, Mother Ann Chuey
          Youngstown in 1942

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
            Cathie,
            If he was monsignor and it was in Ohio, the church should be able to help
            you and they should have great records. I am unsure of whom you could
            contact but if he was a ranking official in the church, it should be
            something you can figure out with their help.
            John

            On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Cathie McAdams <ab8gv@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Good evening everyone!
            >
            > I returned last week from 11 very lovely, and very hot, days in Spisska
            > Nova Ves with side trips to Bankska Bystrica for a Stanley Cup celebration,
            > Dukla, Komarnik, Zavadka and Stara Lubovna. I didn't get to meet up with
            > Ron, he didn't contact me until after we had left Stara Lubovna.
            >
            > Anyway, I need your assistance. My cousin's mom had a relative by the
            > name of Stefan Kocis. He was born in 1892 in Czechoslovakia, she didn't
            > know where and died in the US in 1952. Apparently, Mr. Kocis was
            > responsible for starting Roman Catholic churches in Ohio. Residences
            > include Barberton, Youngtown and Columbiana or possibly Columbus. Mr.
            > Kocis wasn't just a mister, he was a monsignor according to the family. I
            > have Googled and Binged him with no results. There is nothing that I could
            > find on ancestry.com or family search.org even with Soundex.
            >
            > Does anyone have any information on Stefan Kocis?
            >
            > Cathie McAdams
            > Mentor OH
            > Researching Turcan, Zakutcija and Repasky in Zavadka.
            >
            > Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who
            > will drain it.

            John Yowpa III, MD

          • Samuel Ontko
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
              Father went by John Kochis and he and his wife Anna are found in the censuses in Youngstown.
              Mother Anna died 14 Nov 1941 in Youngstown
              Stephen was naturalized in Youngstown under his father’s papers?

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
                OUR LADY OF MERCY (SLOVAK) (Built 1949)

                Another great day in the History of the Parish took place on Sept. 17, 1948 at 3:00 p.m. On that Sunday afternoon the Laying of the Corner Stone took place. Most Rev. Edward F. Hoban, Bishop, delegated, Monsignor Francis F. Dubosh to perform the ceremony. Rev. Florian Hudac, O.S.B. and Rev. Andrew Laheta, sons of the Parish were Deacon and Subdeacon respectively. It was a bright sunny day. About 20 other priests were in attendance. Preachers for the occasion were Rt. Rev. Monsignor Stephen G. Kocis of Youngstown, Ohio, who preached in Slovak, and Rev. Benjamin S. Bayus, the former assistant who preached in English. Practically the whole parish turned out for this beautiful ceremony. Many friends and neighbors were also present to witness the historical event.

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 20, 2013
                  HOLY TRINITY PARISH: A BRIEF HISTORY

                  1907-2011

                  In 1911 the Republic Iron and Steel Company built a 2,000 foot bridge across the Mahoning River making it easier for residents of Struthers to commute from one side of the town to the other. In 1914 many in the Valley were torn by stories of war in their ancestral homes. They turned to a new pastor for guidance. Fr. Joseph Zalibera became the pastor and oversaw an enlargement of the Holy Trinity School. A convent for the Vincentian Sisters was built. 1918 not only saw the end of the Great War in Europe, but the first ordination of a son of Holy Trinity parish. Fr. Stephen Kocis was ordained in that year.