How to Post/How to Reply to a Post???

  • t.salony
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
      Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable directions/suggestions on posting?
      I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.

      TOM
    • Kathy Ax
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
        Tom,
        I don't know about anyone but I your not used to you could go quite insane. The way I figured it was to always answer from my in box. I you open a post, you can most likely scroll down and see what was previously said. If not, you could open the others that are responding with same RE: and find out what's going on. For a while there when I first started I would double post and I 'm I confused a lot of people. Kathy

        ________________________________
        Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable directions/suggestions on posting?
        I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.

        TOM

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2013
          This site is not a "data" site.  The purpose is to help people in their genealogy searches
          which entails explanations on where and how to find this info.   All of this information can be combined to provide success for searchers.

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21, 2013
            Tom,
            Here is a set of guidelines that is sent to everyone when they join SR.
            CK

            Slovak-Roots Guidelines
            This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil, and engaging.
            * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
            * Always include a relevant topic, village, or surname in the message subject.
            * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost. If you must reply to an existing message that will change the original thread, change the Subject line to the new topic followed by the old subject:
            New topic was Re: Old topic. A simpler way is make a new e-mail
            * We stick to genealogy topics only. The Yahoo group "Slovak World" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Slovak-World and the Delphi Forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/ are great place to discuss current events, recipes, and other topics of general interests.
            * Instructions on changing your e-mail subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
            o Search – Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
            o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It is not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it has been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
            o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion.
            o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
            * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While some members may seem "expert", there is always something new for everyone to learn!
            * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have over 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

            Thank you.

            Your Moderators

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

            > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable directions/suggestions on posting?
            > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.
            >
            > TOM

          • t.salony
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
              whomever,
              [Yes, I'm replying to my own post intentionally.]
              Maybe I'm the only one still using a pc to view the site & viewing the
              actual SLOVAK-ROOTS site, rather than viewing each individual email?
              Maybe I'm the only one who finds great benefit in being able to view
              the REPLYs in a logical succession, as they relate, even slightly, to
              the original message?

              TOM
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" wrote:

              > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable
              directions/suggestions on posting?
              > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand
              today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has
              copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to
              interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.

              > TOM

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
                Tom,

                I suspect you are up against a rubber wall (as opposed to a brick wall). It will seem to give or change and then it bounces back to the way it was.

                I am responding as an individual user. I have no special knowledge of how the threads are put together, other than some people have their computers set up to answer before they quote the post they are answering, and some people are set up to quote first and answer after, which sometimes looses me. Sometimes I think a person is re-posting with no comment when I simply do not scroll down far enough to find their answer buried after the long quotation.

                You aren't alone in reading at the S-R website (Yahoo Groups). Doing so allows me to skip over messages of no interest and keeps my personal email from becoming cluttered. I have it set up to the title and first line are shown, so I can often see what point is being made.

                Good luck on finding some order. The posting styles of everyone seem quite different, and we are not edited to keep things uniform. That sure would be a hard and thankless job!

                Ron
                PS Overall Yahoo rules of conduct seem to be at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/local/guidelines.html

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                > whomever,
                > [Yes, I'm replying to my own post intentionally.]
                > Maybe I'm the only one still using a pc to view the site & viewing the
                > actual SLOVAK-ROOTS site, rather than viewing each individual email?
                > Maybe I'm the only one who finds great benefit in being able to view
                > the REPLYs in a logical succession, as they relate, even slightly, to
                > the original message?
                >
                > TOM
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" wrote:
                > >
                > > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable
                > directions/suggestions on posting?
                > > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand
                > today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has
                > copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to
                > interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.
                > >
                > > TOM

              • Kathy Ax
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
                  Each individual subject should have a thread. But if it's a new subject, which there are quite a few, it will have only one answer. Generally you would have to scroll down the email to see the thread as others have answered. Hope this helps. Kathy

                  ________________________________

                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" wrote:

                  > Does this site have, or has it ever had, simple understandable
                  directions/suggestions on posting?
                  > I'm finding it so ironic that it seems as difficult to understand
                  today(2013)who is posting to whom, who has hijacked a thread, who has
                  copied some part of an unknown post, etc. etc., as is has been to
                  interpret 100+ year old records in various languages and handwriting.

                  > TOM

                • t.salony
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
                    Ron,

                    >>>"...some people are set up
                    to quote first and answer after, which sometimes looses me. Sometimes I think a
                    person is re-posting with no comment when I simply do not scroll down far enough
                    to find their answer buried after the long quotation." <<<

                    Yes, I inquired about that very thought not long ago. I'm sure I'll remember to look further the next time I think someone hasn't posted anything but the Subject.
                    I have never really bother even looking at my yahoo email, as I have never used it for anything but SLOVAK-ROOTS, and have for quite a few years read & tried to understand every message **as I read it under "Topics".
                    I'm glad I looked at the emails, as I see now that someone responded there, but NOT in the group.

                    TOM