Question about given name change

  • Nancy Gibbs
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013

      >I found my great grandfather in the PA 1900 Federal Census living with his brother.  A sister is also in the household.  Her name is given as BERTHA.  My question is what name(s) should I be looking for in the Slovakia record?  I am trying to find a birth record for her.  Thank you.
      >Nancy

    • Kathy Ax
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
        Try Berta. It 's my guess. Kathy

        ________________________________
        >I found my great grandfather in the PA 1900 Federal Census living with his brother.  A sister is also in the household.  Her name is given as BERTHA.  My question is what name(s) should I be looking for in the Slovakia record?  I am trying to find a birth record for her.  Thank you.
        >Nancy

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~atpc/genealogy/surnames/cref-given-names.pdf Your can look at this page about Bertha.

          >I found my great grandfather in the PA 1900 Federal Census living with his brother. A sister is also in the household. Her name is given as BERTHA. My question is what name(s) should I be looking for in the Slovakia record? I am trying to find a birth record for her. Thank you.
          >Nancy

        • Sandra & John Panzitta
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
            Hi Nancy,

            My Slovakian "Bertha's" were usually Borbala or Barbala. Sometimes in the US they were Barbara. I also have a Bertha that was born a Theodosia who sometimes was known as Dorota or Dorothy. She eventually settled on Bertha. I suspect she was a name anomaly.

            Good luck,
            Sandra
            On Aug 20, 2013, at 2:55 PM, MGMojher wrote:

            > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~atpc/genealogy/surnames/cref-given-names.pdf Your can look at this page about Bertha.

          • Nancy Gibbs
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
              Thank you for this website.  I bookmarked it for future reference.  No Slovakian name for Bertha but at least the other nationalities gave me an idea of what it could be.

              >________________________________

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                Nancy,

                Berta [Behrr-tah] is the name in Slovak, Bertha [Behrr-tah] is the Baptismal name on the document.

                Vilo

                ________________________________
                >I found my great grandfather in the PA 1900 Federal Census living with his brother.  A sister is also in the household.  Her name is given as BERTHA.  My question is what name(s) should I be looking for in the Slovakia record?  I am trying to find a birth record for her.  Thank you.
                >Nancy

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                  http://www.catholic-saints.info/roman-catholic-saints-a-g/saint-bertha.htm

                  Bertha is a Saint and the name is a legitimate Baptismal name.

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________
                  My Slovakian "Bertha's" were usually Borbala or Barbala.  Sometimes in the US they were Barbara.  I also have a Bertha that was born a Theodosia who sometimes was known as Dorota or Dorothy.  She eventually settled on Bertha.  I suspect she was a name anomaly.

                  Good luck,
                  Sandra
                  On Aug 20, 2013, at 2:55 PM, MGMojher wrote:

                  > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~atpc/genealogy/surnames/cref-given-names.pdf Your can look at this page about Bertha.

                • Kathy Ax
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
                    I have found in searching my ancestors from Slovakia that Berti can also be Male. I have a great Uncle Adalbertus, who went by Albert, who's Mom called him Berti when he was young. I found this on the Manifest. A site I use, which I just found, was Behindthenames.com. It's something. Kathy

                    ________________________________
                    Thank you for this website.  I bookmarked it for future reference.  No Slovakian name for Bertha but at least the other nationalities gave me an idea of what it could be.

                    >________________________________

                  • Zuzana Peer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013

                      Hi,
                      BERTA is old common  female Slovak name (BERTHA in English). This name  still exist in Slovakia, but it is not so poular anymore. See the Slovak telephone book (telefonny zoznam):
                      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Berta/slovensko/

                      BERTI is common nickname of male name ADALBERTUS, because this name is too long. But it still exist in Slovakia...
                      Zuzana

                      ________________________________
                      I have found in searching my ancestors from Slovakia that Berti can also be Male. I have a great Uncle Adalbertus, who went by Albert, who's Mom called him Berti when he was young. I found this on the Manifest. A site I use, which I just found, was Behindthenames.com. It's something. Kathy

                      ________________________________
                      Thank you for this website.  I bookmarked it for future reference.  No Slovakian name for Bertha but at least the other nationalities gave me an idea of what it could be.

                      >________________________________

                    • Nancy Gibbs
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 21, 2013
                        Kathy,
                          My Bertha is definitely a female.  At least that is what it says on the U.S. census were I found my her & my great grandfather.  :)

                        >________________________________

                      • Kathy Ax
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 21, 2013
                          Yes I understand. When I was looking at manifests sometimes I came along one with Berti and It was female. Happy hunting. Kathy

                          ________________________________
                            My Bertha is definitely a female.  At least that is what it says on the U.S. census were I found my her & my great grandfather.  :)

                          >________________________________

                        • t.salony
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
                            Nancy,
                            I don't know what the relationship was back then between the given names BERTHA and BARBARA(with its variant spellings).
                            I do know that my paternal grandmother was listing on the passenger manifest(1903) as BARBARA TARTAL, but she was commonly known after this as BERTHA. The subject came up a few months ago, I think on the Delphia site, and at least a few posted about some connection in their ancestors' given names.

                            TOM

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Gibbs <bohnenstiehl1952@...> wrote:

                            > >I found my great grandfather in the PA 1900 Federal Census living with his brother. �A sister is also in the household. �Her name is given as BERTHA. �My question is what name(s) should I be looking for in the Slovakia record? �I am trying to find a birth record for her. �Thank you.
                            > >Nancy

                          • William C. Wormuth
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 27, 2013
                              The spelling of Berta [Behrr-tah), in birth/Baptismal records is Bertha but the "th", is not pronounced as we do it.

                              The same for Thomas, Elizabeth...etc.  When searching the name Bertha, look for Bertha.

                              Vilo