Re: [S-R] Re:Philadelphia Passenger records.

  • Marilyn Murphy
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 20 8:13 AM
      Confirmation is received at different ages in different regions even today. In Wisconsin it us senior year of high school. In PA it is usually middle school, tho some churches do it in conjunction with first communion and the Byzantine rite has yet another set if rules.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 20, 2013, at 10:00 AM, "Corinne C. Musto" <gershwin417@...> wrote:

      > Vilo,
      > From the information you gave if Michael Franko was born in 1884, then in 1903 ( the year on the ticket) he would have been 19 years old. Then you say he received his confirmation in Wilkes-Barre, PA (Wilkes-Barre was a big coal mining area). Generally don't you receive confirmation around the age of 13? This would lead me to believe that he was already in America as a boy. So I am thinking this trip in 1903 was to go back to the old country for some reason, and came back to America.
      >
      > What do you or others think?
      > Corinne
      >
      > ________________________________

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 20 9:58 AM
        As a Greek Catholic, I was confirmed after birth at the same time I was baptized.

        On Aug 20, 2013, at 10:00 AM, "Corinne C. Musto" <mailto:gershwin417%40yahoo.com> wrote:

        > Vilo,
        > From the information you gave if Michael Franko was born in 1884, then in 1903 ( the year on the ticket) he would have been 19 years old. Then you say he received his confirmation in Wilkes-Barre, PA (Wilkes-Barre was a big coal mining area). Generally don't you receive confirmation around the age of 13? This would lead me to believe that he was already in America as a boy. So I am thinking this trip in 1903 was to go back to the old country for some reason, and came back to America.
        >
        > What do you or others think?
        > Corinne
        >
        > ________________________________

      • Bob Kirby
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 20 11:45 AM
          Unless I'm mistaken, Catholics are confirmed at around age 13 and  Protestants are conformed as adults.

           In the East it is conferred immediately after baptism. In theWest, this practice is followed when adults are baptized.

          There is also a Jewish Confirmation  (not to be confused with Bar Mitzvah).

          So it all depends on twhich religion he was.

          ________________________________

          Please give us his name and dates and place of birth and death.  Perhaps he did not land at Ellis Island, port of New York. There are other U.S. ports that can be checked.

          Curt B.
          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

          > Recently found my Grandfather's Passenger ticket and need help in locating his original manifest.
          > The ticket was stamped Wien, (Vienna) January 26, 1903.  The Ship, (Ryndam) was Holland-Amerika Line, Rotterdam.
          >
          > He came to work in coal mines but I do not know where.  he made his Confirmation  in PA and his Photo was printed in Wilkes-Barrera, PA
          >
          > He has no listing In Ellis Island or Castle Garden.
          >
          > D'akujem,
          >
          > Vilo

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 20 12:19 PM
            Confirmation practices among Roman Catholics varied greatly over time and place. A quick examination of the confirmation registers in the Slovak archives indicates that Bishops visited village parishes on only rare occasions. In one ancestral village [and a large one at that with a major parish] one of my dad's cousins was baptized in 1895 at the age of 26. The Bishop had not visited in 15 years and it took three days to confirmn those eligible. I think it took all the rest of the village to act as sponsors. It must have been quite an extravaganza.

            So people up to thirty years old or more may well have emigrated to the U.S. without being confirmed.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Bob Kirby <bob.kirby54@...> wrote:

            > Unless I'm mistaken, Catholics are confirmed at around age 13 and  Protestants are conformed as adults.
            >
            >  In the East it is conferred immediately after baptism. In theWest, this practice is followed when adults are baptized.
            >
            > There is also a Jewish Confirmation  (not to be confused with Bar Mitzvah).
            >
            > So it all depends on twhich religion he was.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 20 12:24 PM
              Thanks Corinne,

              I am sure it was his Confirmation but not sure where.  Gramp came here and never returned.  He began bringing his family here, then together with brothers and sisters, finished bringing all 11 plus his mother and father in 1920.

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              As a Greek Catholic, I was confirmed after birth at the same time I was baptized.

              Confirmation is received at different ages in different regions even today. In Wisconsin it us senior year of high school. In PA it is usually middle school, tho some churches do it in conjunction with first communion and the Byzantine rite has yet another set if rules.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Aug 20, 2013, at 10:00 AM, "Corinne C. Musto" <mailto:gershwin417%40yahoo.com> wrote:

              > Vilo,
              > From the information you gave if Michael Franko was born in 1884, then in 1903 ( the year on the ticket) he would have been 19 years old. Then you say he received his confirmation in Wilkes-Barre, PA (Wilkes-Barre was a big coal mining area). Generally don't you receive confirmation around the age of 13? This would lead me to believe that he was already in America as a boy. So I am thinking this trip in 1903 was to go back to the old country for some reason, and came back to America.
              >
              > What do you or others think?
              > Corinne
              >
              > ________________________________

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 20 1:11 PM
                Thanks Barb, I knew them all,(Plus).   My Mother was Baptized Wilma, (Vilma) [Veel-mah], female form of William.  Hattie was Baptized Hedwiga [Hehdvee-gah].  I do not know why ho renamed her Hattie.

                Thanks,

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                  Please give us his name and dates and place of birth and death. Perhaps he did not land at Ellis Island, port of New York. There are other U.S. ports that can be checked.

                  Curt B.
                  --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                  > Recently found my Grandfather's Passenger ticket and need help in locating his original manifest.
                  > The ticket was stamped Wien, (Vienna) January 26, 1903.  The Ship, (Ryndam) was Holland-Amerika Line, Rotterdam.
                  >
                  > He came to work in coal mines but I do not know where.  he made his Confirmation  in PA and his Photo was printed in Wilkes-Barrera, PA
                  >
                  > He has no listing In Ellis Island or Castle Garden.
                  >
                  > D'akujem,
                  >
                  > Vilo

                • Barb Molitoris
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 20 5:01 PM
                    I just joined the group recently and have not joined in until now. I hope this information is helpful.
                    I found it on Ancestry.com.
                    I found the “New York, State Census, 1915” where Michael Franco is listed living