[S-R] Re: Surname Borischak

  • snowball
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 10 12:20 PM
      I've just recently tuned into the search, so excuse me if you already have this information. Have you researched the surname Borish as an alternative spelling? A Slovak family with that name lived in Beaverdale, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, during the period 1940/1950+. I don't know if they are still in the area.
      Sandra Sileo

> [...]
      >
      > Kristení 1744-1789 - FHL INTL Film [ 1924858 Item 6 ]
      > Krsty 1789-1806 Manželstvá 1745-1797 Úmrtia 1744-1799 Konvertiti 1744-1799
      > Krsty 1807-1838 Manželstvá 1807-1838 Úmrtia 1807-1838 Konvertiti 1807-1838
      > Krsty 1838-1843 Manželstvá 1838-1843 Birmovaní 1845, 1855 Úmrtia 1838-1843 -
      > FHL INTL Film [ 1924859 ]
      > Krsty 1844-1887 Manželstvá 1844-1887 Úmrtia 1844-1887 Krsty 1852-1887
      > Manželstvá 1852-1887 Konvertiti 1905-1949 Úmrtia 1852-1887 Birmovaní 1906 -
      > FHL INTL Film [ 1924859 ]
      > Krsty 1888-1919 Manželstvá 1888-1908 Úmrtia 1888-1923 - FHL INTL Film [
      > 1924860 Item 1 ]
      >
      > Another check would be the 1869 Hungarian Census, also NOT available online. Film only.
      > Szécstarnóka (Ternavka) -- Szilvasujfalu (Silvas) -- Szinna (Snina) Film #719790
      >

      > It would also be useful to acquire the 1869 Hungarian Census FILM for Morva since Pal Boriscsak should be shown, along with his parents siblings, religion, age and place of birth.
      >
      > Monok -- Morva (Moraviany) -- Mrázócz (Mrázovce) Film #722748
      >

      > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
      > The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records.
      >
      > There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.
      >
      > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).
      >
      > LOCATE YOUR NEAREST FAMILY HISTORY CENTER AND ORDER FILM
      > You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You may need to go there in person to order the film(s). In some places, online ordering of films has now been implemented. In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

    • snowball
      Message 37 of 37 , Aug 10 12:20 PM