SABANOS

  • t.salony
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2013
      Mike Sabanos,

      This is a response to your post on another thread regarding TUREK, wife of Sabanos.

      If you search Ellis Island using the Morse gold,
      http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
      inserting only SABANOS, you will find a Juraj Sabanos, leaving his wife Maria in Strazske, coming to Jersey City.
      http://www.cisarik.com/0_Strazske_Michalovce_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html

      TOM
    • MichaelS
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2013
        Hi Tom,

        Wow, thank you very much for looking this up.

        Yes, that is my grandfather. I have one question though.....

        How were you able to determine that he left his wife back home? I looked through all of the search results and did not find this info anywhere??

        My grandmother joined him a few years later, bringing with her two children (Uncle John and Aunt Mary). I can find no record of them entering the US though.....

        Regards,
        Mike

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

        > Mike Sabanos,
        >
        > This is a response to your post on another thread regarding TUREK, wife of Sabanos.
        >
        > If you search Ellis Island using the Morse gold,
        > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
        > inserting only SABANOS, you will find a Juraj Sabanos, leaving his wife Maria in Strazske, coming to Jersey City.
        > http://www.cisarik.com/0_Strazske_Michalovce_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
        >
        > TOM

      • t.salony
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 13, 2013
          Mike,
          Glad to help. Are you looking at the actual "Original Ship Manifest", not just a printed transcription of SOME of the info? There are actually TWO pages, and in this case p. 2 is the first page that opens(I know there's some explanation but I forget what it is). Look at the "previous" page for line 9: SABANOS, JURAJ & column 12: "The name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came."

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelS" <FLGuy28451@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > Wow, thank you very much for looking this up.
          >
          > Yes, that is my grandfather. I have one question though.....
          >
          > How were you able to determine that he left his wife back home? I looked through all of the search results and did not find this info anywhere??
          >
          > My grandmother joined him a few years later, bringing with her two children (Uncle John and Aunt Mary). I can find no record of them entering the US though.....
          >
          > Regards,
          > Mike
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mike Sabanos,
          > >
          > > This is a response to your post on another thread regarding TUREK, wife of Sabanos.
          > >
          > > If you search Ellis Island using the Morse gold,
          > > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
          > > inserting only SABANOS, you will find a Juraj Sabanos, leaving his wife Maria in Strazske, coming to Jersey City.
          > > http://www.cisarik.com/0_Strazske_Michalovce_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
          > >
          > > TOM

        • t.salony
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 13, 2013
            Mike,
            I'm having difficulty determining why the rest of the family isn't showing up using the Morse gold, but I'm guessing there is some cutoff year in the mid 1920s for that particular search.
            Using the Morse " $ New York (all: 1820 - 1957) " [where the $ indicates a paid site, being Ancestry.com ] you can find Maria and children Jan & Maria arriving on the Aquatania, 24 May,1929, going to Juraj, who is now in Lansford, Pa. She is leaving " mother-Torok Suzanna, Strazske Michalovce ".

            TOM

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

            > Mike,
            > Glad to help. Are you looking at the actual "Original Ship Manifest", not just a printed transcription of SOME of the info? There are actually TWO pages, and in this case p. 2 is the first page that opens(I know there's some explanation but I forget what it is). Look at the "previous" page for line 9: SABANOS, JURAJ & column 12: "The name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came."
            >
            > TOM
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelS" <FLGuy28451@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Tom,
            > >
            > > Wow, thank you very much for looking this up.
            > >
            > > Yes, that is my grandfather. I have one question though.....
            > >
            > > How were you able to determine that he left his wife back home? I looked through all of the search results and did not find this info anywhere??
            > >
            > > My grandmother joined him a few years later, bringing with her two children (Uncle John and Aunt Mary). I can find no record of them entering the US though.....
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Mike
            > >
            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Mike Sabanos,
            > > >
            > > > This is a response to your post on another thread regarding TUREK, wife of Sabanos.
            > > >
            > > > If you search Ellis Island using the Morse gold,
            > > > http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
            > > > inserting only SABANOS, you will find a Juraj Sabanos, leaving his wife Maria in Strazske, coming to Jersey City.
            > > > http://www.cisarik.com/0_Strazske_Michalovce_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html
            > > >
            > > > TOM

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 13, 2013
              Mike & Tom
              The Ellis Island Database itself only indexes immigrant arrivals from its opening in 1892 through 1924, so arrivals after 1924 are simply not included at all, so it has nothing to do with Morse searching.

              Ancestry.com has tried to index all arrivals, all dates, and all ports. The indexing is still in progress but they claim to have completed Ellis Island through its closing and all Castle Garden records.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

              > Mike,
              > I'm having difficulty determining why the rest of the family isn't showing up using the Morse gold, but I'm guessing there is some cutoff year in the mid 1920s for that particular search.
              > Using the Morse " $ New York (all: 1820 - 1957) " [where the $ indicates a paid site, being Ancestry.com ] you can find Maria and children Jan & Maria arriving on the Aquatania, 24 May,1929, going to Juraj, who is now in Lansford, Pa. She is leaving " mother-Torok Suzanna, Strazske Michalovce ".
              >
              > TOM
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Mike,
              > > Glad to help. Are you looking at the actual "Original Ship Manifest", not just a printed transcription of SOME of the info? There are actually TWO pages, and in this case p. 2 is the first page that opens(I know there's some explanation but I forget what it is). Look at the "previous" page for line 9: SABANOS, JURAJ & column 12: "The name and complete address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came."
              > >
              > > TOM
              > >
              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MichaelS" <FLGuy28451@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi Tom,
              > > >
              > > > Wow, thank you very much for looking this up.
              > > >
              > > > Yes, that is my grandfather. I have one question though.....
              > > >
              > > > How were you able to determine that he left his wife back home? I looked through all of the search results and did not find this info anywhere??
              > > >
              > > > My grandmother joined him a few years later, bringing with her two children (Uncle John and Aunt Mary). I can find no record of them entering the US though.....
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > > Mike

            • MichaelS
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 20, 2013
                Curt - Thank you for the explanation.

                Tom - Thanks for pointing that out. I did find the other page of the ship manifest. And yes, that's my grandmother, uncle, and aunt.

                I really appreciate all of the wonderful assistance!

                Mike