[Admin] About Ellis Island database

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2001
      Please remember this is a list for researching relatives from the
      former Austria-Hungary/Czechoslovakia/CZ and SR etc. While some
      questions about emigration are fine and encouraged, I notice
      while checking on the list today for the first time in awhile that
      there are WAY too many questions/opinions on the Ellis Island
      database.

      Please remember that this is a database transcribed by humans who
      make
      mistakes.. and according to the Television interviews with
      authorities
      on it, they admit it contains mistakes, ommissions and may not be
      truly ready for nearly a month, so many people are unable to access
      it
      all the time. Please do not ask this list for help with this
      situation... we can't help you. If you are having problems, contact
      the email address given on the main page.

      Also please remember that this database consists of years (except for
      5) -already soundexed, microfilmed and available-. Is it more
      convenient to use? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is, it's already
      available to you, so if you have problems with the database, tehn use
      the microfilms.

      In any case, please limit the discussion on this topic on the list.
      If
      you need further help with the site, contact them. Or join a list for
      emigration or ship lists and ask there.

      Information on the microfilms of this time of NY arrivals and how to
      use them are on http://community.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints

      I was also disappointed to see postings which argued about what to
      call people and terminology...
      Please remember the limits and rules of this list. Thank you.

      Maura Petzolt
      Listowner SlovakRoots