Re: [S-R] new to group

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6 9:39 PM
      Ahoj Andrea,
      My ancestral villages on my paternal side are Hromos and Plavnica. In September I will be making my seventh trip to Slovakia since 2001.
      If you would like to share genealogy we may find we are distant cousins. I have always said in the 600 years that most of the of the villages in the “hood” have existed every family at one time or another probably have married into all the rest. My Plavnica family is Rindos to Scerbak to Mojher/Mojcher.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7 5:21 AM
        Welcome to the group.

        You did not mention the 1869 Hungarian Census. Very informative. Online at:
        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28475-12873-15?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-C67:n1639064492

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lancebatchelder" <lancebatchelder@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone. I just wanted to introduce myself. Both sets of great grandparents on my father's side of the family came from the village of Plavnica. When they came to the US, almost all of the relatives came to Pennsylvania directly from Baltimore or New York. The most prevalent surnames are Grich (Greek), Moscsovics, Vargo (Varga), and Vida (Wido or Wida). I have had great luck searching the Roman Catholic records from Slovakia on the LDS site. I am also happy to share what I have learned and help others. So happy to have found this group!
        >
        > Blessings,
        > Andrea

      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7 6:28 AM
          Hello Andrea,
          My paternal grandmother's village was Csircs/Circ and her maiden name was Varga/Vargo/Warga/Wargo.  My paternal grandfather's village was Orosz Volya/Ruska Vols nad Popradom and his last name was Kerpcsar/Kerpchar.  Like Michael Mojcher said, within the small area of villages everyone probably married into every family at one time or another.  I have a list of families in the "tree" that runs the alphabet.  If you have any info on the Varga or Kerpcsar names please let me know.  Thanks, Nick

          ________________________________
[...]

        • Stibila ,Rosemary
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8 8:01 AM
            Welcome to our group Andrea.

          • John Yowpa III
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8 8:44 AM
              Welcome to the group, Andrea.

              My ancestors also came from that same area. They were from Maly Lipnik,
              north west over the hills from Plavnica. As mentioned, it is very likely
              that most of us from these villages have shared ancestry. The surnames I am
              researching are Yowpa/Youpa/Joppa, Froelich (and its various spellings),
              Posipanka (not from Maly Lipnik but maybe close), Lasky and its various
              iterations, and Osifchin. Let me know if you come across any of these
              families as it appears some of my ancestors spent time in Plavnica and
              Stara Lubovna.

              I recently joined the group as well and will tell you that the emails and
              posts are great not only because of the help you can get, the help you can
              give others but also because of the great stories and friendly advice you
              get. It is fun to read emails from those embarking on genealogy research
              and wondering if somehow their ancestors and your ancestors may have traded
              or talked in the past. It is also great to hear about trips people are
              taking and it makes me yearn for a trip to Europe when my kids are older!

              Have a great day.

              --
              John Yowpa III