Re: [S-R] "Do" in Maly Lipnik

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 1:55 PM
      John,
      Was not sure if you have come across this website. It has some land
      censuses transcribed - http://www.tccweb.org/malylipnik.htm#1828_Land_Census
      I use to sources when trying to find surnames;
      http://slovnik.juls.savba.sk/ allows you to search the 1995 Slovak Census by
      surnames and locations and http://www.cisarik.com/ by surnames and
      locations. The second gives you the names of a location, a map and a list of
      surnames found in different sources. It will often come up with names in
      locations that the census "Top 10" locations given does not give. A good
      example is the following. Of all your surnames, this is the only one that
      appeared in the the census, 31 listings in 8 locations. As you see, Maly
      Lipnik is last on the list. Stara Lubovna is about 12 miles away.
      Priezvisko JOPPA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 31×, celkový počet
      lokalít: 8, v lokalitách:
      SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 9×;
      KEŽMAROK, okr. POPRAD (od r. 1996 KEŽMAROK) – 7×;
      STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA, okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA – 4×;
      PÚCHOV, okr. POVAŽSKÁ BYSTRICA (od r. 1996 PÚCHOV) – 3×;
      SVIT, okr. POPRAD – 3×;
      HRABUŠICE, okr. SPIŠSKÁ NOVÁ VES – 2×;
      PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 2×;
      MALÝ LIPNÍK, okr. STARÁ ĽUBOVŇA – 1×;

      In the second source for searching there were a number of Froelich living in
      Plavnica, Joppa could be found in Stara Lubovna and Svaby (now a parts of
      Presov), nothing for Kocsmarcin, Lasky is found in Svaby and Kosice and
      nothing for Yowpa and Youpa.

      This interesting find is having Joppa and Lasky both being found in Svaby
      (Presov). If they are in your records as being married to one another it can
      be deduced that they more than likely found each other in Svaby.

      Having Froelich now living in Plavnica and so close to Maly Lipnik, one
      might suspect that this is the location for that branch of your family.

      On my second trip to Slovakia I met with the Mayor of Plavnica, he was
      interested in genealogy. I wanted to ask him about a family that I was
      interested in. On hearing the surname he told me that they were not from
      Plavnica and had come from elsewhere. I found this interesting because in
      the Plavnica records they had been living there for well over a 100 years.
      To have a family in town that long to be thought of as "newcomers" gave me a
      new perspective about how a family can be viewed in Slovakia.
      Michael Mojher