Meaning of Titay

  • ccknk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30 9:35 AM
      While going through various Greek Catholic church records for the Austro-Hungarian Empire villages of Circ, Jastreb, and Ruska Vols nad Popradom (now in Slovakia) I have found the word "Titay" on the same line with ancestor's names. Example, Mihaly Titay Kerpcsar. I have also found it before the last name and all by itself in the space where a name should be. "Titay" was not part of the name on baptism records. Is "Titay" a nickname? If so, does anyone know if it translates to anything?

      Thank you all in advance for any light you can shed on this question.
      Nick
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30 11:08 AM
        Nick,
        My ancestral village of Hromos is not far from your villages. I discovered there is an oral tradition of what I was told were “do” names. Do in Slovak is of. These were an alias name that was designed to identify different branches of a family. When a family became large there was a problem of telling those with the same given and surnames. So different branches of the family were identified and given a name.
        In Hromos my Mojcher family has three “do” names; Adama, Palody and Zid. I am of the Adama branch. So if there was another Michael Mojcher in Hromos I would be referred to as Michael Adama.
        These “do” names were used in the records. I learned of the “do” names when the City Registrar asked if I knew the “do” of the person I was trying to find.
        Sometimes the “do” name does translate into English. My “do” Zid is Jew. Google Translate gave no English translation for your Titay.
        For genealogy the “do” names are wonderful because if you know yours and you find anyone with the same “do” you know they are a close blood relative.
        Michael Adama-Mojher

        While going through various Greek Catholic church records for the Austro-Hungarian Empire villages of Circ, Jastreb, and Ruska Vols nad Popradom (now in Slovakia) I have found the word "Titay" on the same line with ancestor's names. Example, Mihaly Titay Kerpcsar. I have also found it before the last name and all by itself in the space where a name should be. "Titay" was not part of the name on baptism records. Is "Titay" a nickname? If so, does anyone know if it translates to anything?

        Thank you all in advance for any light you can shed on this question.
        Nick

      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31 8:25 AM
          Michael,
          Your reply and information just uncovered a link I had been looking for since starting to research the genealogy of my ancestors.  I had found other Kerpcsars with the word "Titay" in the name column of church records!  Now I will be able to go back and connect-the-dots on those individuals.  This is wonderful.  Thank you so very much!
          Nick Titay-Kerpcsar

          ________________________________

          While going through various Greek Catholic church records for the Austro-Hungarian Empire villages of Circ, Jastreb, and Ruska Vols nad Popradom (now in Slovakia) I have found the word "Titay" on the same line with ancestor's names. Example, Mihaly Titay Kerpcsar. I have also found it before the last name and all by itself in the space where a name should be. "Titay" was not part of the name on baptism records. Is "Titay" a nickname? If so, does anyone know if it translates to anything?

          Thank you all in advance for any light you can shed on this question.
          Nick

        • John Yowpa III
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31 10:07 AM
            Sorry, that should have said, do you know of any do names for the nearby
            village of Maly Lipnik?
            thanks

            On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM, johnyowpaiii@... <
            johnyowpaiii@...> wrote:

            > Michael, do you know of any do names
            >
            > Sent from my HTC One� X+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

            John Yowpa III, MD