Re: Searching for info on HRITZ AND KLINCHAK
>>> My grandfather Michael Hritz was born in 1892 in Remetske Hamre, Czechoslovakia. I believe he came to the United States in 1912. . . . my grandmother, Mary Klinchak, born May, 13, 1897 also in Remetske Hamre, Czechoslovakia. . . . Mary Klinchak was one of 5 siblings. Mary 5/13/1897, Anna 1/1/1900, George 12/11/1903 (Town listed as Wisne Remetti, Czechoslovakia), John Klinchak and Elizabeth Klinchak...no birth dates. <<<1) Czechoslovakia did not exist before 1918. It was Austro-Hungary.
2) BASIC RESEARCH HELP
For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
3) You did not specify a RELIGION. When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).
4) LDS has RC church records for Remetske Hamre available online at
5) >>> My grandfather Michael Hritz was born in 1892 in Remetske Hamre<<<
Birth not shown in RC records for Remetske Hamre in/around 1892.
6) The GC records are filed under Vysna Rybnica. They cover the years 1813-1852. Later records may have been lost.
7) >>> Town listed as Wisne Remetti, Czechoslovakia <<<
OLD NAMES of the village(town):
1773 Felso-Remete, 1786 Felscho-Remete, 1808 Felso-Remete, Wyssní Remjaty, 18631902 Felsoremete, 19071913, 19391945 Jeszenoremete, 19201939, 1945 Vysne Remety