Searching for Katcher/Mattis & Podresky/Kacir roots

  • jmh1283@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2013
      Hi Everyone,
      My name is Jeff and I am looking for help finding information on the family names in the subject line above. I do have some Podresky info and a little on Kacir. John Podresky was born 5/29/1871, Markusovce, Slovakia. In the "Declaration of Intention" I have it says John was a native of Austria and arrived in the United States June 23, 1896. On the "Petition For Naturalization" it shows John's name as Podratsky and he signs his name that way. It states that Markusovce is in Hungary at the time of this petition and that John emigrated from Bremen, Germany on or about June 1st, 1896. He sailed on the ship "Havel" and arrived in New York on June 11,1896. His wife Veronica (written Voronica) was with him as well 3 children. John Jr, 12/12/1899, Veronica (again written Voronica) 5/15/1905 and Rose 2/12/1907. Some other data I have states Podresky may have in fact changed here from Podratsky. The Podratsky's may be from a village called Smolnik in Slovakia. The Kacir roots are also in Slovakia perhaps in a village called Hnilcik, SPIS near Rudany. I believe Veronica Kacir was born 12/24/1879 in the same Markusovce, Slovakia or perhaps Hungary at that time...not sure. as for Katchers and Mattis....I have very little data. Susan Mattis was born in 1865 in Austria and came to the states in 1884 based on the 1930 Federal Census. Joseph Katcher was also from Austria born in 1868 and came here as well in 1884. They were supposedly from the Hillsville PA area and may have settle down in the Lowellville Ohio area. There were several kids. Annie Katcher 1887-1950, Susan Katcher 1889-1966, Rose Katcher 1891-1978, Catherine C Katcher 1895-1955, Edward Thomas Katcher 1897-1984, Joseph Katcher Jr 1900-1986 and Helen M Katcher 1903-1988. Any help is very much appreciated!
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2013
        Which RELIGION? The church records are online -- same as for other query.

        For Szepes Megye = county, the 1869 Hungarian Census is available online. Here it is for Markusovce:
        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28455-3750-51?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HBM:567840860

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jmh1283@..." <jmh1283@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        > My name is Jeff and I am looking for help finding information on the family names in the subject line above. I do have some Podresky info and a little on Kacir. John Podresky was born 5/29/1871, Markusovce, Slovakia. In the "Declaration of Intention" I have it says John was a native of Austria and arrived in the United States June 23, 1896. On the "Petition For Naturalization" it shows John's name as Podratsky and he signs his name that way. It states that Markusovce is in Hungary at the time of this petition and that John emigrated from Bremen, Germany on or about June 1st, 1896. He sailed on the ship "Havel" and arrived in New York on June 11,1896. His wife Veronica (written Voronica) was with him as well 3 children. John Jr, 12/12/1899, Veronica (again written Voronica) 5/15/1905 and Rose 2/12/1907. Some other data I have states Podresky may have in fact changed here from Podratsky. The Podratsky's may be from a village called Smolnik in Slovakia. The Kacir roots are also in Slovakia perhaps in a village called Hnilcik, SPIS near Rudany. I believe Veronica Kacir was born 12/24/1879 in the same Markusovce, Slovakia or perhaps Hungary at that time...not sure. as for Katchers and Mattis....I have very little data. Susan Mattis was born in 1865 in Austria and came to the states in 1884 based on the 1930 Federal Census. Joseph Katcher was also from Austria born in 1868 and came here as well in 1884. They were supposedly from the Hillsville PA area and may have settle down in the Lowellville Ohio area. There were several kids. Annie Katcher 1887-1950, Susan Katcher 1889-1966, Rose Katcher 1891-1978, Catherine C Katcher 1895-1955, Edward Thomas Katcher 1897-1984, Joseph Katcher Jr 1900-1986 and Helen M Katcher 1903-1988. Any help is very much appreciated!

      • Jeff Hritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2013
          Since we were raised Catholic and my parents were...I would assume the religion to be Catholic

          ________________________________
          Which RELIGION? The church records are online -- same as for other query.

          For Szepes Megye = county, the 1869 Hungarian Census is available online. Here it is for Markusovce:
          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28455-3750-51?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HBM:567840860

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jmh1283@..." <jmh1283@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          > My name is Jeff and I am looking for help finding information on the family names in the subject line above. I do have some Podresky info and a little on Kacir. John Podresky was born 5/29/1871, Markusovce, Slovakia. In the "Declaration of Intention" I have it says John was a native of Austria and arrived in the United States June 23, 1896. On the "Petition For Naturalization" it shows John's name as Podratsky and he signs his name that way. It states that Markusovce is in Hungary at the time of this petition and that John emigrated from Bremen, Germany on or about June 1st, 1896. He sailed on the ship "Havel" and arrived in New York on June 11,1896. His wife Veronica (written Voronica) was with him as well 3 children. John Jr, 12/12/1899, Veronica (again written Voronica) 5/15/1905 and Rose 2/12/1907. Some other data I have states Podresky may have in fact changed here from Podratsky. The Podratsky's may be from a village called Smolnik in Slovakia.
          The Kacir roots are also in Slovakia perhaps in a village called Hnilcik, SPIS near Rudany. I believe Veronica Kacir was born 12/24/1879 in the same Markusovce, Slovakia or perhaps Hungary at that time...not sure. as for Katchers and Mattis....I have very little data. Susan Mattis was born in 1865 in Austria and came to the states in 1884 based on the 1930 Federal Census. Joseph Katcher was also from Austria born in 1868 and came here as well in 1884. They were supposedly from the Hillsville PA area and may have settle down in the Lowellville Ohio area. There were several kids. Annie Katcher 1887-1950, Susan Katcher 1889-1966, Rose Katcher 1891-1978, Catherine C Katcher 1895-1955, Edward Thomas Katcher 1897-1984, Joseph Katcher Jr 1900-1986 and Helen M Katcher 1903-1988. Any help is very much appreciated!

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2013
            The 1995 Census:
            No listing for Podresky, Katcher or Mattis. In Markusovce there is a Podracká and Maslis.
            Priezvisko KAČÍR sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 144×, celkový počet lokalít: 37 / 144 listing in 37 location. Four found in Markusovce. Kacir in Slovak means heretic or non-believer.