Iglo or Spisska Nova Ves and different last names?

  • a2bmartha
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 29 3:19 PM
      I have a grandmother who immigrated to the U.S. I believe in 1889. I think her husband came over in 1886 with his brother. They were married in Cleveland in 1891. She lived in Cleveland, Ohio. Her maiden name was Erma Novak, married name Irma Kello/Kelly/Kelley. She was born September 23, 1864. They list their birthplace as Hungary, Austria, Dalmatia and Czechoslovakia on various Federal Census'. Her death certificate lists a brother named E.J. Stein which stands for Emanuel J. whose date of birth is 1882 and date of death was January 21, 1966 His wifes name was Florence Richardson. E.J.s draft card says he was born in Iglo. I haven't been able to find Irma's birth. Too many Novak's. My question is why would E.J. and Irma have different last names if they are brother and sister? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 29 3:59 PM
        Since you have not been able to find records to answer your question, the rest is speculations. Clues may be in their births; Erma was in 1864 and Emanuel in 1882. That is virtually a generation apart. My first assumption is that Stein may have been Erma’s maiden name. She married a Novak. The second would be that Erma’s maiden name was Novak and her mother re-married a Stein. As you are most likely well aware, Novak is a prominent name in Spisska Nova Ves.

        Emanuel Stein is a possible Jewish name. Do you know if that is so? www.jewishgen.org is a good site if it is. Presently there are not Stein listings in Spisska Nova Ves, but there are a number of Steiner.

        Erma and her husband were pre-Ellis Island. They more than likely came through Castle Gardens. Those records were moved to Ellis Island. The bad news is that a fire at Ellis Island destroyed a large amount of them. I have not been able to find my relatives entry because of that. And you may not also.
        I have a grandmother who immigrated to the U.S. I believe in 1889. I think her husband came over in 1886 with his brother. They were married in Cleveland in 1891. She lived in Cleveland, Ohio. Her maiden name was Erma Novak, married name Irma Kello/Kelly/Kelley. She was born September 23, 1864. They list their birthplace as Hungary, Austria, Dalmatia and Czechoslovakia on various Federal Census'. Her death certificate lists a brother named E.J. Stein which stands for Emanuel J. whose date of birth is 1882 and date of death was January 21, 1966 His wifes name was Florence Richardson. E.J.s draft card says he was born in Iglo. I haven't been able to find Irma's birth. Too many Novak's. My question is why would E.J. and Irma have different last names if they are brother and sister? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 29 4:13 PM
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Chytra/slovensko/

          ________________________________
          I have a grandmother who immigrated to the U.S. I believe in 1889. I think her husband came over in 1886 with his brother. They were married in Cleveland in 1891. She lived in Cleveland, Ohio. Her maiden name was Erma Novak, married name Irma Kello/Kelly/Kelley. She was born September 23, 1864. They list their birthplace as Hungary, Austria, Dalmatia and Czechoslovakia on various Federal Census'. Her death certificate lists a brother named E.J. Stein which stands for Emanuel J. whose date of birth is 1882 and date of death was January 21, 1966 His wifes name was Florence Richardson. E.J.s draft card says he was born in Iglo. I haven't been able to find Irma's birth. Too many Novak's. My question is why would E.J. and Irma have different last names if they are brother and sister? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

        • Allison W
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 29 4:45 PM
            I saw an Emma Novak. Arrival date May 14, 1886 accompanied by a Junrs Novak about ten yrs apart in age on the EMS ship but that's the only record that I've found that comes close. Not sure about the Jewish. I know the names are usually associated but my grandparents were Roman Catholic in Ohio and I guess my G-Grandfather was Greek Catholic in old country. I found what I think is my G-Grandfathers ship record on the Hamburg Passenger List 1850-1934.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 29 4:48 PM
              Not sure what this link is Mr. Wormuth? Am I suppose to plug in their names?

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 29 4:53 PM
                I have also seen a Irma Novak residence 1885 in Osterreich, Austria but not sure how to figure out if this is my Irma Novak.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 29 5:53 PM
                  Osterreich is Austria.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 30 1:00 AM
                    It is telephone directory in which I found Chytra.  It can be a start  for research.  I believe Cytra is your name not Kytra.

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 30 1:07 AM
                      It is telephone directory in which I found Chytra.  It can be a start  for research.  I believe Chytra is your name not Kytra.

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________
                      Not sure what this link is Mr. Wormuth? Am I suppose to plug in their names?

                      On Jul 29, 2013, at 6:13 PM, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

                      > http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Chytra/slovensko/

                    • Robert Pollak
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30 10:33 AM
                        I had information that my grandfather came fro IGLAU.   After much research I found that he really came from IGLO.
                        As you know IGLO is now Spisska Nova Ves and IGLAU is JIHLAVA in the Czech Republic.    The two towns almost sound the same so it is easy to get them mixed up.
                         Bob

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1, 2013
                          Thanks for your replies. I went back and looked at the records again. Emanuel J. Stein's WW2 draft card definitely says Iglo, Hungary but then on the Census his Birthplace is New York. He says his parents were born in Germany. I don't think I've ever seen Irma list her parents birth as Germany. He lists his birthdate as March 2, 1882. Then it pays to look stuff up again because now Irma's Naturalization record has been posted, unfortunately it is not her declaration of intent, just a small slip of paper that has her married name, her address, her birth country which she lists as Hungary, the date Naturalized-10/28/1904, husband's name and date of marriage and date recorded which confirms 1889 as her year of immigration. Thanks for your help.