Re: Kokinda/Kokindo Genealogy

  • patskanovo
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 19, 2013
      I don't know how I missed this one and I hope it is not too late....I have Kokinda's in my maternal line from Remeniny...

      Dennis

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kokonutoad" <crkokinda@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I am an amateur genealogist, researching my family tree. This is as far back as I have gotten:
      >
      > George (possib. Joseph as middle name) Kokinda
      > Born: May 1863, Austro-Hungary (he spoke Slovak)
      > Died: 1/1/1913, Old Forge, Pennsylvania
      > Immigrated: 1885
      > Parents: John Kokinda, and Helen "Nellie" Hospodár.
      >
      > Wife: Anna Sevcik (Seftchick)
      > Born: December 1862, Austro-Hungary (she spoke Slovak)
      > Died: 10/6/1918, Old Forge, Pennsylvania
      > Immigrated: 1885
      > Parents: Unknown.
      >
      > I do know that the Kokindas who settled in Beaver Meadows,PA/Hazleton,PA/Ohio ALL came from Lipova/Sasova/Ortutova, however I haven't found anything to indicated that my specific branch came from there.
      >
      > In addition, I am also seeking information on a Michael Kokinda who was born 8/15/1859 in Remeniny, Slovakia. He immmigrated in 1886, and changed his last name to Cokinda. He married a Scottish woman named Margaret Fraser.
      >
      > More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of Remeniny and Lipova (Bardejov district). Were they not part of the Census?

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 19, 2013
        Remeniny Church Record -
        Slovakia, Vranov nad Topľou, Remeniny - Church records ( 1 )
        1.. Cirkevná matrika, 1826-1942 Author: Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Remeniny (Giraltovce); Odbor Archívnictva Mv Sr; Štátny oblastný archív v Prešove

        2.. http://www.cisarik.com/0_Remeniny_Vranov_nad_Toplou_PV_Saros_Saris.html webpage on Remeniny. Look through the surname list.
        A history on Lipova, there are two Lipova in Slovakia, one in the Nitra region and one in the Presov region. Remeniny is closest to the Presov Lipova.
        Slovakia, Nové Zámky, Lipová - History ( 1 )
        1.. Lipová : 850 rokov, od prvej písomnej zmienky (1156-2006) /
        Lipova 850 years since the first written record (1156-2006)

        2.. Author: Cucor, Ján

        3.. http://www.cisarik.com/0_Lipova_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html webpage on Lipova. Look through the surname list.
        http://www.cisarik.com/0_Sasova_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html – Sasova
        http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ortutova_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html –Ortutova
        All four of your villages are relatively close to one another.
        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28477-18151-3?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-HVR:1611162656 This is the 1869 records for Giraltovce. Above Remeniny seems to have been an associated village of the Giraltovce Greek Catholic parish. It is worth a try.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 19, 2013
          In your posting you had “Austro-Hungary (he spoke Slovak).” In 1863 the Austro-Hungarian Empire was formed. For almost 900 years prior to that the territory that is now Slovakia was part of Hungary. The birth being registered as Austro-Hungary is correct, a year earlier it would have been Hungary. After WWI it would have been Czechoslovakia. And in 1992 it became Slovakia. History can change the names of political identity of a country, but it rarely changes the ethnic identity of those living there, in this case Slovaks (he spoke Slovak).

          If you have looked at the surnames in the four villages I you saw that Kokinda is among them. I noticed there was no Hospodar per your Helen “Nellie” Hospodar. Here is what the 1995 Slovak census had on that surname – there were 163 listings in 34 locations, the top 10 are shown. The okr. Svidnik and okr. Presov locations would have been close to your four villages. The okr. Kosice, Michalovce and Trebisov are to the south, but within the region.
          Priezvisko HOSPODÁR sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 163×, celkový počet lokalít: 34, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
          MICHALOVCE, okr. MICHALOVCE – 59×;
          TREBIŠOV, okr. TREBIŠOV – 10×;
          ZÁPAD (obec KOŠICE), okr. KOŠICE – 10×;
          LOMNÉ, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 7×;
          NITRIANSKA STREDA, okr. TOPOĽČANY – 6×;
          STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 6×;
          PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 5×;
          SVIDNÍK, okr. SVIDNÍK – 5×;
          KALUŽA, okr. MICHALOVCE – 4×;
          SENICA, okr. SENICA – 4×;

          From what I understand the 1869 census is still being catalogued. So it may well be your villages have not made it to the online data base yet.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
            "More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of
            REMENINY and Lipova (Bardejov district). Were they not part of the Census?"

            The 1869 census for Remeniny remains in the Hungarian Archives located in "Sátoraljaújhely" (capital city of former Zemplen county - few kilometers from Slovak border)

            Why they are not in Slovakia,I do not know....

            I have a cousin with the complete census for Remeniny and Matiaska if you need a look up?

            Dennis

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "kokonutoad" <crkokinda@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I am an amateur genealogist, researching my family tree. This is as far back as I have gotten:
            >
            > George (possib. Joseph as middle name) Kokinda
            > Born: May 1863, Austro-Hungary (he spoke Slovak)
            > Died: 1/1/1913, Old Forge, Pennsylvania
            > Immigrated: 1885
            > Parents: John Kokinda, and Helen "Nellie" Hospod�r.
            >
            > Wife: Anna Sevcik (Seftchick)
            > Born: December 1862, Austro-Hungary (she spoke Slovak)
            > Died: 10/6/1918, Old Forge, Pennsylvania
            > Immigrated: 1885
            > Parents: Unknown.
            >
            > I do know that the Kokindas who settled in Beaver Meadows,PA/Hazleton,PA/Ohio ALL came from Lipova/Sasova/Ortutova, however I haven't found anything to indicated that my specific branch came from there.
            >
            > In addition, I am also seeking information on a Michael Kokinda who was born 8/15/1859 in Remeniny, Slovakia. He immmigrated in 1886, and changed his last name to Cokinda. He married a Scottish woman named Margaret Fraser.
            >
            > More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of Remeniny and Lipova (Bardejov district). Were they not part of the Census?

          • Paul Sabol
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
              Is there an online record of all the villages that were disbanded as a result of operation Vistula?<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                These are the localities. Sourced from Wikipedia

                Polesie <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polesie>
                Roztocze <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roztocze>
                Pogórze Przemyskie <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pog%C3%B3rze_Przemyskie>
                Bieszczady <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bieszczady>
                Low Beskid <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Beskid>
                Beskid Sądecki<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Beskid_S%C4%85decki&action=edit&redlink=1>
                Ruś Szlachtowska <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ru%C5%9B_Szlachtowska>

                On 22 July 2013 03:17, Paul Sabol <pgsabol@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Is there an online record of all the villages that were disbanded as a
                > result of operation Vistula?<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

              • John
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 21, 2013
                  >>> "More specifically, I am trying to find the 1869 Census records for the towns of REMENINY and Lipova (Bardejov district). <<<

                  LDS has the films.

                  Rátka -- Remenye (Remeniny) -- Repejő (Repejov) Film #722771

                  Lipova (Lipovcec) Film #2189250 Item 3
                  Online at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28478-16208-0?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CC6:n560851000