Ellis Island - is this for anyone or just insiders?

  • gjlazar@telerama.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2001
      It is hard to figure what is going on there, are there are special
      privileges for some persons to get priority? Either they are up or
      they are not.

      I got in twice in the last week and every time after I
      spend the 10 minutes it takes to get to the Family History Page, I get
      the "Coming soon" page that was up weeks ago. Other folks get into
      it, and are able to register and so searches, what is
      the secret?....once connected why do I only see the coming soon
      screen?

      I erased my cache and did a reload after I got connected and still get
      the "Coming soon..." page!
    • Tim Skvarenina
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2001
        My guess is you are connecting to www.ellisisland.org

        You need www.ellisislandrecords.org

        I made that mistake the first two days.

        Tim

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • gjlazar@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2001
          That was exactly my problem. Thanks.

          When someone goes to ellisisland.org , the home page, there is a link
          there to the family history center that takes you to
          www.ellisisland.org/history.html which is the "Coming soon..." page
          that has been there for months.

          You have to wonder why they didn't replace that link when they
          brought the records on line. THis may be contributing to their
          traffic problem on the servers as hundreds of people are probably
          going to the home page link and redialing over and over tying up the
          servers! There is no clue from the home page that you are not going to
          the records site when you use their link.

          How were folks supposed to find the proper link???

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Tim Skvarenina <tskvarenina@y...> wrote:
          > My guess is you are connecting to www.ellisisland.org
          >
          > You need www.ellisislandrecords.org
          >
          > I made that mistake the first two days.
          >

          > Tim
          >
          > --- gjlazar@t... wrote:
          >
          > > I got in twice in the last week and every time after
          > > spend the 10 minutes it takes to get to the Family
          > > History Page, I get
          > > the "Coming soon" page that was up weeks ago. Other
          > > folks get into
          > > it, and are able to register and so searches, what
          > > is
          > > the secret?....once connected why do I only see the
          > > coming soon
          > > screen?
          > >
          > > I erased my cache and did a reload after I got
          > > connected and still get
          > > the "Coming soon..." page!

          > http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • Lanny Walker
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5 5:40 PM
            Last night after midnight I downloaded the original ship manifest for my
            Grandparents. I was not able to do so during the day.

            The information is great it lists the exact destination of the person and
            his or her place of birth. The closest relative or friend living in the
            country they came from.

            Definitely worth a little loss of sleep.

            In my case it turns out the name of the town was misspelled on the original
            documents.