[S-R] Re: Searching: Marusinska, Kriger, Husarik

  • John
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2013
      It's just too bad that the 1869 Hungarian Census is not online (yet).

      The Marusinsky surname exists in Trebisov with both RC and GC church records online.

      Worth a look.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Quinlan <pnlquinlan@...> wrote:

      > Michalovce was what my grandmother put on her citizenship papers.  She said her mother was Maria Marusinska.  However, on her marriage records, the church records show "Jan" and "Anna Kriger" as her parents.  I thought her father's name was Jan Marusinsky, BUT something tells me she may have been adopted or there is another story here.  I will research towns near Michalovce and see what I can find.  I know she had her oldest daughter in Levoca and by that time her mother was remarried (or married) to John Husarik.  I will continue to try to search out more information.  I appreciate your time and your help.  This is the first time I feel I am not alone in my search.
      > Linda
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Patrick Quinlan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2013
        You are so good at this and so kind.  I haven't found the family yet, but I am just going through the pages.  Thanks so much.  I will let everyone know when I find my grandma.  This means a lot.     Linda

        ________________________________
        Using the Slovak 1995 Census database I entered in all of your surnames listed; Marusin, Kriger and Husarik. It turned up an interesting result, all three names were found in the town of Humenne. Humenne is 16 km / 9.6 miles from Michalovce. It could be coincidence, but I think it is such a strong one it would be worth beginning your search there.
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H6L%3A597422678%3Fcc%3D1554443 This is the link to the Roman Catholic records for Humenne online.
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-78Q%3An511778482%3Fcc%3D1554443 This is the one for the Greek Catholic records.
        Michalovce was what my grandmother put on her citizenship papers. She said her mother was Maria Marusinska. However, on her marriage records, the church records show "Jan" and "Anna Kriger" as her parents. I thought her father's name was Jan Marusinsky, BUT something tells me she may have been adopted or there is another story here. I will research towns near Michalovce and see what I can find. I know she had her oldest daughter in Levoca and by that time her mother was remarried (or married) to John Husarik. I will continue to try to search out more information. I appreciate your time and your help. This is the first time I feel I am not alone in my search.
        Linda

        >>> Frances Marusinska, was born in Michalovce on 28 Feb 1888 to Jan Marusinsky and ??? Maria or Anna Kriger. <<<

        Not found in RC or GC online church records for Michalovce for the specified date. Perhaps from a nearby village.

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2013
          https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AMarusinska~%20%2Bresidence_place%3A%22Michalovce%2C%20Slovakia%22~
          This is the link to Marusinska in the Family Search data base.

          https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AKriger~%20%2Brecord_country%3ASlovakia This is for Kriger, there are 4,600+ listings.

          https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AHusarik~%20%2Brecord_country%3ASlovakia This is for Husarik, there is a little over 1000 listings.

          Maybe the above will be a shortcut to finding your ancestors. Good luck. You will have to look through all of the listing since they also have a mix of spellings. During the era of Magyarization in the late 1800’s only Hungarian spellings were allowed in the records. So if you see a “sz” combination that is a good hint that it is a Hungarian spelling.