RE: [S-R] Ellis Island

  • Deidre Heindl
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
      Any sites I might try first? I am looking for a picture of the 'Amaranth'
      and when I tried to search for it, I got many sites about the flower and
      recipes that use it dried as a recipe!

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
        I was unable to get a boat image to download for the
        ship Amerika. I found by searching on the web, there
        are many maritime sites with pictures and histories of
        these ships. If you know the name of the ship you
        might try that.

        Tim

        --- Deidre Heindl <deidreh@...> wrote:
        > I would love to get a picture of
        > the boat off of the site
        > and it does not give an option of just searching the
        > boat images. I emailed
        > the site about that as well.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
          At 11:36 AM 4/23/01 -0700, you wrote:
          >I was unable to get a boat image to download for the
          >ship Amerika. I found by searching on the web, there
          >are many maritime sites with pictures and histories of
          >these ships. If you know the name of the ship you
          >might try that.
          >
          >Tim

          I don't know if you tried, but you can right click on the image and
          download the image by itself and save the rest as a .txt file. It's pretty
          fast doing it that way. For ship photographs
          try http://www.kinshipsprints.com/ .

          John
        • Maureen Pulignano
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7 7:53 AM
            Linda,
            I am finding that this is less common. I have about 150 items in my Ellis
            Island file and there are now only about 10% that will not load the manifest
            image. However, I ran into a new problem with the database last night. In
            three instances the link to the original manifest was not accurate -- the
            ship's name was not the same, the port of embarkation was not the same and my
            passenger was not on any of that ship's displayable pages.

            I know that the Foundation has been hard pressed to meet the needs of far
            more researchers than they anticipated. Using the site on a near daily basis,
            it is obvious that they are making rapid adjustments. I do hope that we don't
            lose more accuracy.
            Maureen