RE: [S-R] Ellis Island

  • Deidre Heindl
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
      Any sites I might try first? I am looking for a picture of the 'Amaranth'
      and when I tried to search for it, I got many sites about the flower and
      recipes that use it dried as a recipe!

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
        Can someone tell me how to find records in the LDS
        tapes for Bos^any? It appears my ancestors came from
        what is now known as Bos^any, but was Nagy Bossany
        (and other variations on the Ellis Island records)
        before 1918.

        I have been fortunate to find a number of Skvarenina's
        with the name spelled correctly, but I concur the
        transcribing is very difficult and subject to
        interpretation. One of the Skvarenina's I have looked
        at was apparently travelling with a relative named
        Minarovic(s). The ship's officer started the M very
        high and that person is listed as Uinarovics on the
        text manifest. So I am afraid you have to think
        creatively.

        --- magton <magton@...> wrote:
        > I think these Slovakian names
        > are really hard to
        > transcribe for this index. Any clues on name
        > searches on this Ellis Island

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Tim Skvarenina
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
          I was unable to get a boat image to download for the
          ship Amerika. I found by searching on the web, there
          are many maritime sites with pictures and histories of
          these ships. If you know the name of the ship you
          might try that.

          Tim

          --- Deidre Heindl <deidreh@...> wrote:
          > I would love to get a picture of
          > the boat off of the site
          > and it does not give an option of just searching the
          > boat images. I emailed
          > the site about that as well.

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2001
            At 11:36 AM 4/23/01 -0700, you wrote:
            >I was unable to get a boat image to download for the
            >ship Amerika. I found by searching on the web, there
            >are many maritime sites with pictures and histories of
            >these ships. If you know the name of the ship you
            >might try that.
            >
            >Tim

            I don't know if you tried, but you can right click on the image and
            download the image by itself and save the rest as a .txt file. It's pretty
            fast doing it that way. For ship photographs
            try http://www.kinshipsprints.com/ .

            John
          • Maureen Pulignano
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2001
              Linda,
              I am finding that this is less common. I have about 150 items in my Ellis
              Island file and there are now only about 10% that will not load the manifest
              image. However, I ran into a new problem with the database last night. In
              three instances the link to the original manifest was not accurate -- the
              ship's name was not the same, the port of embarkation was not the same and my
              passenger was not on any of that ship's displayable pages.

              I know that the Foundation has been hard pressed to meet the needs of far
              more researchers than they anticipated. Using the site on a near daily basis,
              it is obvious that they are making rapid adjustments. I do hope that we don't
              lose more accuracy.
              Maureen