Re: [S-R] Buchonuska Galacia

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
      Buchonuska sounds a lot like BUKOWSKO which is located south west of Sanok.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
        John and Bill,
        I saw Bukowsko but could not find any collaborative information that Buchonuska became or was called Bukowsko.  However, if no one comes up with a better alternative I will use the statement that "Bukowsko may be the current name for the old village of Buchonuska."

        My next big challenge is to find church records for Buchonuska/Bukowsko.  This genealogy stuff is never lacking for yet another challenge.  Gentlemen, thank you for your input.
        Nick

        ________________________________
        Buchonuska sounds a lot like BUKOWSKO which is located south west of Sanok.

        ________________________________
        I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
        Thank you for your help, Nick

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
          Nick,
          This was a dead link, but I think it may contain the names Bukowsko was known by: Bernard Schwerd trip to Bukowsko (Zboiska-Wolica-Bukowsko-Wola Piotrowa-Bukowsko)

          Buchonuska sounds a lot like BUKOWSKO which is located south west of Sanok.

          ________________________________
          I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
          Thank you for your help, Nick

        • JohnY
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
            What may go a long way to finding out for sure is for you to find out who the local mayor or other representative is and to send them a letter in English and Polish (and any other dialects/languages.) A lot of the villages around the countryside appreciate interest in the area and often public officials of small villages are thrilled to talk about history, etc.
          • t.salony
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
              Nick,
              Searching Ellis Island using the Morse gold form yields 329 names indexed as from Bukowska, but zero names indexed as from " Buchonuska ".
              Zero hits is usually an indication of incorrect spelling/indexing/memory,etc.
              Care to say where you find Buchonuska?

              TOM

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@...> wrote:

              > I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
              > Thank you for your help, Nick

            • MGMojher
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                http://www.polishroots.org/ Nick you might get some help here.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                  My guess is that:
                  - the ch is a phonetic spelling of the k;
                  - the nu is a misinterpretation of a handwritten w.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                  > Nick,
                  > Searching Ellis Island using the Morse gold form yields 329 names indexed as from Bukowska, but zero names indexed as from " Buchonuska ".
                  > Zero hits is usually an indication of incorrect spelling/indexing/memory,etc.
                  > Care to say where you find Buchonuska?
                  >
                  > TOM
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
                  > > Thank you for your help, Nick

                • Armata, Joseph R
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                    Here's a list of surnames from 19th-century Bukowsko

                    Joe

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                    > Nick,
                    > Searching Ellis Island using the Morse gold form yields 329 names indexed as from Bukowska, but zero names indexed as from " Buchonuska ".
                    > Zero hits is usually an indication of incorrect spelling/indexing/memory,etc.
                    > Care to say where you find Buchonuska?
                    >
                    > TOM
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "ccknk" <ccknk@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
                    > > Thank you for your help, Nick

                  • Nick Kerpchar
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                      Hi Tom,
                      As I understand, the name "Buchonuska" is the birthplace given by an ancestor on his declaration for citizenship papers back in 1900.  His grandchildren also gave me that name but it may have just been repeating what they saw on that document and not from conversations with him.  Unfortunately, like in so many cases, he has been long gone so I can't interview the source.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate suggestions and questions as one never knows what new perspective may help answer a question.
                      Nick

                      ________________________________

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@...> wrote:

                      > I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
                      > Thank you for your help, Nick

                    • Nick Kerpchar
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                        Thank you Michael.  I will go to it.
                        Nick

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                          Tom,
                          That could be it.  And, there is no accounting for whether this relative could write, pronounced the name of the village with a heavy accent, or any number of other filters.  But what you say make sense as it is Bukowska that shows up where the relatives say "Buchonuska" was supposed to be located.  I think the case for Bukowska is pretty strong.

                          As soon as, or if, I can get to a copy of Greek Catholic church records for that area I may indeed find the Romanskys.  I have already looked through the Roman Catholic church records for Bukowska and found some Romanskis but did not find the person I am looking for.  Unfortunately, the family does not know the name of the great grandparents; that was where I thought I may be of help.

                          Thank you again for your input and suggestions and the input from Michael and John and others.  Nick

                          ________________________________

                          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                          > Nick,
                          > Searching Ellis Island using the Morse gold form yields 329 names indexed as from Bukowska, but zero names indexed as from " Buchonuska ".
                          > Zero hits is usually an indication of incorrect spelling/indexing/memory,etc.
                          > Care to say where you find Buchonuska?
                          >
                          > TOM
                          >
                          > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "ccknk" <ccknk@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
                          > > Thank you for your help, Nick

                        • Nick Kerpchar
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                            Joe,
                            Thank you for this link.  I found Romanskis in the Roman Catholic church records for Bukowsko but did not find a baptism for the individual I am looking for.  The family does not know the first names of the great grandparents nor the last name of the great grandmother so that has been a bit of a challenge.  However, I see that Romanski is on the list so that confirms what I found in the RC church records.  Now I need to find Greek Catholic or Russian Orthodox church records for the same area and see if the Romanskis/Romanskys show up there.
                            Thank you again for your appreciated help.  Nick

                            ________________________________

                            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "t.salony" <t.salony@...> wrote:

                            > Nick,
                            > Searching Ellis Island using the Morse gold form yields 329 names indexed as from Bukowska, but zero names indexed as from " Buchonuska ".
                            > Zero hits is usually an indication of incorrect spelling/indexing/memory,etc.
                            > Care to say where you find Buchonuska?
                            >
                            > TOM
                            >
                            > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "ccknk" <ccknk@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I need help finding the current name for the village of Buchonuska that existed in Galacia during the Austro-Hungarian Empire days. This village was suppose to be just southwest of Sanok. Sanok is now in southeastern Poland. I have tried everyplace I can think of with no results. The family I am looking for that was from Buchonuska is named Romansky (or Romanski).
                            > > Thank you for your help, Nick

                          • Nick Kerpchar
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                              John,
                              That's a great suggestion and had overlooked it although I have made similar suggestions to others some time ago regarding finding interpreters in small villages.  I will do that.  Thanks, Nick