Re: [S-R] Stirmer or Weber

  • magton
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2001
      Hi - I don't know if this is any correlation but I am working on the family
      name of STIRMENSKY ~ it's a Slovakian name. But perhaps yours is a German
      name as many German settled in Slovakia ?? Or is your STIRMER am
      abbreviation of a longer Slovakian name?? Magda Magton@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 23, 2001
        I believe that both Stirmer and Weber were Germans living in the former
        Yugoslavia area that was known prior to WWI as the Austrian-Hungarian
        Empire. Both families emigrated to the US in the early 1900's supposedly
        between 1900 and 1910. They wound up in the Detroit area.

        Bill

        At 12:31 PM 4/23/01 -0400, magton wrote:
        >Hi - I don't know if this is any correlation but I am working on the family
        >name of STIRMENSKY ~ it's a Slovakian name. But perhaps yours is a German
        >name as many German settled in Slovakia ?? Or is your STIRMER am
        >abbreviation of a longer Slovakian name?? Magda Magton@...

      • magton
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2001
          I see . The other coincidence is that my family ended up in Detroit too but
          I know they hailed from Northern Hungary. Good Luck.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • PRabich@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2001
            Hi Bill,

            I'm not researching the name of Weber, but a second cousin is. Her Weber is
            from Slovakia.

            Interested?

            Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis
          • Bill Kroll
            Message 5 of 6 , May 13, 2001
              Sorry, I haven't found any Weber connection in my research.

            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., PRabich@a... wrote:
                > Hi Bill,
                >
                > I'm not researching the name of Weber, but a second cousin is. Her
                Weber is
                > from Slovakia.
                >
                > Interested?
                >
                > Pat Rabich aka Rebic(k) Benetis

                Don't know the surname Weber.
                Your cousin has a formidable research task ahead, unless knows
                surname village/town of origin in Slovakia.

                1) Weber is a German occupational surname meaning 'weaver'.
                2) Surname Weber has not appeared in any recent Slovakia Census.
                3) Probably 75,000-100,000 + surname Weber bearers just in the U.S.
                4) If surname religion was Jewish, such records ended in Slovakia in
                1941.
                Frank Kurcina