Re: [S-R] Re: Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8 8:38 AM
      Eugene,

      Kladzany VT/PV zemplín.
      1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873–1902 Kladzán, 1907–1913 Klazány, 1920– Kladzany

      Interesting that Kladzan was the name of a village that is 23 miles from Vinne. The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing under Kladzan. I have found that surnames have been based on village names. Obviously Kladzan is a Slovak word and may be the bases for your surname.

      Was you Kladzan family living in Vinne?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8 1:46 PM
        Eugene -- You raise a good possibility regarding KLADZAN, but looking under Polish records on Family Search I do see KLADZIN and KLADZION and KLEDZON. Marianna KLADZIN shows up a few times married to a Jacobus or Joannes Pictrzyk--- perhaps this is a lead for you?

        In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

        > Eugene,
        >
        > Kladzany VT/PV zemplín.
        > 1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873â€"1902 Kladzán, 1907â€"1913 Klazány, 1920â€" Kladzany
        >
        > Interesting that Kladzan was the name of a village that is 23 miles from Vinne. The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing under Kladzan. I have found that surnames have been based on village names. Obviously Kladzan is a Slovak word and may be the bases for your surname.
        >
        > Was you Kladzan family living in Vinne?

      • Zuzana
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8 6:57 PM
          Hi,
          did you try Vojensky historicky ustav (The Institute of Military History), Krajna 27, Bratislva? They have some WW1 records. Here is the link:

          http://www.vhu.sk/index.php?ID=659

          If you need translation, just let me know.
          Zuzana

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "larryaugustyn@..." <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:

          > My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!

        • gene62cu
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 12 8:33 AM
            Thanks very much for the information regarding KLADZAN family members found in the Slovak 1995 Census. Yes, my family lived in village Vinne in the mid 1880s. I was able to confirm this via a microfilm search of church records photographed by LDS volunteers.

            In later years my family settled in western Pennsylvania, other KLADZANs, cousins, re-located in New Jersey. Interestingly in the US Census of 1900 my family's surname was spelled KLADZAN, however in the Census of 1910 they were listed as KLODZEN, a spelling that for us remains today. Our New Jersey cousins retain the original spelling.

            Thanks again for your very helpful information,

            Eugene Klodzen