Re: [S-R] Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI

  • larryaugustyn@att.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 8 4:26 AM
      Thank you Peter. I know Joseph was Baptized in Lechnica in December 1885, but what town the family actually lived in is unclear although obviously nearby. Did they only require single men to fight or were all men below a certain age required? In America and Canada, men who had dependents were required to register but not to fight unless they wanted to. Joseph was in his young 30's when WWI began. I am thinking that suggests he did not have a family, or he may have volunteered anyway. As I say, I am not hopeful I will find much info on his military activity or his exact death. The records seem to be spread out between too many authorities. If you do spot anything, though, please let me know, and thank you again.

      > There aren't many sites with adequate databases. The Kramerius site does
      > have periodical listings of WWI soldiers from Austro-Hungary. If the name
      > doesn't produce enough results, I found that searching for the probably
      > birthplace town often brings results.
      > Note that the current Firefox browser will not work with Dejavu plugin and
      > you need to use I.E.
      > I'll look if I have time and let you know.
      > Peter M.
      >

      > On 8 July 2013 09:57, larryaugustyn@... <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Thank you for looking. I don't hold much hope for finding him as I see
      > > from other web sights that these military records are held in various
      > > places -- Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Since I do not know which
      > > force he may have fought with or the exact dates of his enrollment, he
      > > would be difficult at best to find. Thanks again!
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > You can look in the Kramerius website for the spelling variations
      > > regarding
      > > > those fallen, wounded or in POW camps.
      > > >

      > > http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Search.do;jsessionid=4FBF9D3DB2E152849F276962B4815B7F?searchType=periodical&documentType=periodical&text=+Waradzyn&fulltext=&fulltextFuzzy=1.0&issn=&title=&author=&year=&udc=&ddc=
      > > > shows Stanislav Waradzyn - 1917-1918
      > > >
      > > > No hits for Waradzin
      > > > Single hit for Varadzin - 1960
      > > > No hits for Waradzy
      > > >
      > > > Peter M.

      > > written by

      > > make his
      > > the
      > > married

    • gene62cu
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 8 7:44 AM
        Recent Y chromosome DNA matches have turned up a number of possible ancestral connections with men of Polish descent. Here's the question;

        But I've been advised that my ancestral surname KLADZAN is neither a Slovak nor a Hungarian surname, even though the record shows that my ancestors spoke the Slovak language and were from Old Hungary, the eastern village of VinneBanka, before Old Hungary became present day Slovakia. So what then might my surname be? If VARADZIN is of Polish origin, and given the deeper ancestry results of my DNA tests, I've wondered if KLADZAN might not be a deritive of a Polish surname similar to VARADZIN? And might my Slovak ancestors have migrated to village Vinne at some point in time from what is today Poland?

        Very intriguing always, and what keeps me in the search.

        Regards,
        Eugene Klodzen

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8 8:38 AM
          Eugene,

          Kladzany VT/PV zemplín.
          1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873–1902 Kladzán, 1907–1913 Klazány, 1920– Kladzany

          Interesting that Kladzan was the name of a village that is 23 miles from Vinne. The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing under Kladzan. I have found that surnames have been based on village names. Obviously Kladzan is a Slovak word and may be the bases for your surname.

          Was you Kladzan family living in Vinne?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 8 1:46 PM
            Eugene -- You raise a good possibility regarding KLADZAN, but looking under Polish records on Family Search I do see KLADZIN and KLADZION and KLEDZON. Marianna KLADZIN shows up a few times married to a Jacobus or Joannes Pictrzyk--- perhaps this is a lead for you?

            In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

            > Eugene,
            >
            > Kladzany VT/PV zemplín.
            > 1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873â€"1902 Kladzán, 1907â€"1913 Klazány, 1920â€" Kladzany
            >
            > Interesting that Kladzan was the name of a village that is 23 miles from Vinne. The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing under Kladzan. I have found that surnames have been based on village names. Obviously Kladzan is a Slovak word and may be the bases for your surname.
            >
            > Was you Kladzan family living in Vinne?

          • Zuzana
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8 6:57 PM
              Hi,
              did you try Vojensky historicky ustav (The Institute of Military History), Krajna 27, Bratislva? They have some WW1 records. Here is the link:

              http://www.vhu.sk/index.php?ID=659

              If you need translation, just let me know.
              Zuzana

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 12 8:33 AM
                Thanks very much for the information regarding KLADZAN family members found in the Slovak 1995 Census. Yes, my family lived in village Vinne in the mid 1880s. I was able to confirm this via a microfilm search of church records photographed by LDS volunteers.

                In later years my family settled in western Pennsylvania, other KLADZANs, cousins, re-located in New Jersey. Interestingly in the US Census of 1900 my family's surname was spelled KLADZAN, however in the Census of 1910 they were listed as KLODZEN, a spelling that for us remains today. Our New Jersey cousins retain the original spelling.

                Thanks again for your very helpful information,

                Eugene Klodzen