Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI

Expand Messages
  • larryaugustyn@att.net
    My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in Lechnica, Ke₧marok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by my Aunt Helena
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    • Margo Smith
      Might he have served in the Slovak Legion? ... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Might he have served in the Slovak Legion?



        >________________________________
        > From: "larryaugustyn@..." <larryaugustyn@...>
        >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:05 PM
        >Subject: [S-R] Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI
        >
        >
        >

        >My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >

        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • htcstech
        You can look in the Kramerius website for the spelling variations regarding those fallen, wounded or in POW camps.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          You can look in the Kramerius website for the spelling variations regarding
          those fallen, wounded or in POW camps.

          http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Search.do;jsessionid=4FBF9D3DB2E152849F276962B4815B7F?searchType=periodical&documentType=periodical&text=+Waradzyn&fulltext=&fulltextFuzzy=1.0&issn=&title=&author=&year=&udc=&ddc=
          shows Stanislav Waradzyn - 1917-1918

          No hits for Waradzin
          Single hit for Varadzin - 1960
          No hits for Waradzy

          Peter M.


          On 8 July 2013 08:05, larryaugustyn@... <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:

          > **
          >
          >
          > My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in
          > Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by
          > my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his
          > death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for
          > Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the
          > information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef
          > Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the
          > surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married
          > at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any
          > leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
          >
          >
          >


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • larryaugustyn@att.net
          I have no idea in what military he may have served in, only that he was born in what was Hungary at the time. I looked at some web sights regarding
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I have no idea in what military he may have served in, only that he was born in what was Hungary at the time. I looked at some web sights regarding Slovakian/Hungarian WWI military records and I see they are spread all over from Slovakia to the Czech Republic and Hungary. I don't hold out much hope of being able to track him down. I don't have enough information.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:
            >
            > Might he have served in the Slovak Legion?
            >
            >
            >
            > >________________________________
            > > From: "larryaugustyn@..." <larryaugustyn@...>
            > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            > >Sent: Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:05 PM
            > >Subject: [S-R] Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > 
            > >My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
            > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >
          • larryaugustyn@att.net
            Thank you for looking. I don t hold much hope for finding him as I see from other web sights that these military records are held in various places -- Hungary,
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              Thank you for looking. I don't hold much hope for finding him as I see from other web sights that these military records are held in various places -- Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Since I do not know which force he may have fought with or the exact dates of his enrollment, he would be difficult at best to find. Thanks again!

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
              >
              > You can look in the Kramerius website for the spelling variations regarding
              > those fallen, wounded or in POW camps.
              >
              > http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Search.do;jsessionid=4FBF9D3DB2E152849F276962B4815B7F?searchType=periodical&documentType=periodical&text=+Waradzyn&fulltext=&fulltextFuzzy=1.0&issn=&title=&author=&year=&udc=&ddc=
              > shows Stanislav Waradzyn - 1917-1918
              >
              > No hits for Waradzin
              > Single hit for Varadzin - 1960
              > No hits for Waradzy
              >
              > Peter M.
              >
              >
              > On 8 July 2013 08:05, larryaugustyn@... <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >
              > >
              > > My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in
              > > Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by
              > > my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his
              > > death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for
              > > Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the
              > > information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef
              > > Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the
              > > surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married
              > > at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any
              > > leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >
              >
              > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              >
            • htcstech
              There aren t many sites with adequate databases. The Kramerius site does have periodical listings of WWI soldiers from Austro-Hungary. If the name doesn t
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                There aren't many sites with adequate databases. The Kramerius site does
                have periodical listings of WWI soldiers from Austro-Hungary. If the name
                doesn't produce enough results, I found that searching for the probably
                birthplace town often brings results.
                Note that the current Firefox browser will not work with Dejavu plugin and
                you need to use I.E.
                I'll look if I have time and let you know.
                Peter M.


                On 8 July 2013 09:57, larryaugustyn@... <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:

                > **
                >
                >
                > Thank you for looking. I don't hold much hope for finding him as I see
                > from other web sights that these military records are held in various
                > places -- Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Since I do not know which
                > force he may have fought with or the exact dates of his enrollment, he
                > would be difficult at best to find. Thanks again!
                >
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > You can look in the Kramerius website for the spelling variations
                > regarding
                > > those fallen, wounded or in POW camps.
                > >
                > >
                > http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Search.do;jsessionid=4FBF9D3DB2E152849F276962B4815B7F?searchType=periodical&documentType=periodical&text=+Waradzyn&fulltext=&fulltextFuzzy=1.0&issn=&title=&author=&year=&udc=&ddc=
                > > shows Stanislav Waradzyn - 1917-1918
                > >
                > > No hits for Waradzin
                > > Single hit for Varadzin - 1960
                > > No hits for Waradzy
                > >
                > > Peter M.
                > >
                > >
                > > On 8 July 2013 08:05, larryaugustyn@... <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                >
                > > >
                > > >
                > > > My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in
                > > > Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative
                > written by
                >
                > > > my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would
                > make his
                > > > death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for
                > > > Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the
                > > > information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef
                > > > Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on
                > the
                > > > surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was
                > married
                > > > at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any
                > > > leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
                > > >
                > > >
                > > >
                > >
                > >
                > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                > >
                >
                >
                >


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • larryaugustyn@att.net
                Thank you Peter. I know Joseph was Baptized in Lechnica in December 1885, but what town the family actually lived in is unclear although obviously nearby. Did
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 8, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  Thank you Peter. I know Joseph was Baptized in Lechnica in December 1885, but what town the family actually lived in is unclear although obviously nearby. Did they only require single men to fight or were all men below a certain age required? In America and Canada, men who had dependents were required to register but not to fight unless they wanted to. Joseph was in his young 30's when WWI began. I am thinking that suggests he did not have a family, or he may have volunteered anyway. As I say, I am not hopeful I will find much info on his military activity or his exact death. The records seem to be spread out between too many authorities. If you do spot anything, though, please let me know, and thank you again.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > There aren't many sites with adequate databases. The Kramerius site does
                  > have periodical listings of WWI soldiers from Austro-Hungary. If the name
                  > doesn't produce enough results, I found that searching for the probably
                  > birthplace town often brings results.
                  > Note that the current Firefox browser will not work with Dejavu plugin and
                  > you need to use I.E.
                  > I'll look if I have time and let you know.
                  > Peter M.
                  >
                  >
                  > On 8 July 2013 09:57, larryaugustyn@... <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Thank you for looking. I don't hold much hope for finding him as I see
                  > > from other web sights that these military records are held in various
                  > > places -- Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia. Since I do not know which
                  > > force he may have fought with or the exact dates of his enrollment, he
                  > > would be difficult at best to find. Thanks again!
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > You can look in the Kramerius website for the spelling variations
                  > > regarding
                  > > > those fallen, wounded or in POW camps.
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/Search.do;jsessionid=4FBF9D3DB2E152849F276962B4815B7F?searchType=periodical&documentType=periodical&text=+Waradzyn&fulltext=&fulltextFuzzy=1.0&issn=&title=&author=&year=&udc=&ddc=
                  > > > shows Stanislav Waradzyn - 1917-1918
                  > > >
                  > > > No hits for Waradzin
                  > > > Single hit for Varadzin - 1960
                  > > > No hits for Waradzy
                  > > >
                  > > > Peter M.
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > On 8 July 2013 08:05, larryaugustyn@ <larryaugustyn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > > **
                  > >
                  > > > >
                  > > > >
                  > > > > My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in
                  > > > > Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative
                  > > written by
                  > >
                  > > > > my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would
                  > > make his
                  > > > > death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for
                  > > > > Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the
                  > > > > information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef
                  > > > > Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on
                  > > the
                  > > > > surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was
                  > > married
                  > > > > at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any
                  > > > > leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
                  > > > >
                  > > > >
                  > > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  > > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  >
                  >
                  > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  >
                • gene62cu
                  Recent Y chromosome DNA matches have turned up a number of possible ancestral connections with men of Polish descent. Here s the question; But I ve been
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 8, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Recent Y chromosome DNA matches have turned up a number of possible ancestral connections with men of Polish descent. Here's the question;


                    But I've been advised that my ancestral surname KLADZAN is neither a Slovak nor a Hungarian surname, even though the record shows that my ancestors spoke the Slovak language and were from Old Hungary, the eastern village of VinneBanka, before Old Hungary became present day Slovakia. So what then might my surname be? If VARADZIN is of Polish origin, and given the deeper ancestry results of my DNA tests, I've wondered if KLADZAN might not be a deritive of a Polish surname similar to VARADZIN? And might my Slovak ancestors have migrated to village Vinne at some point in time from what is today Poland?


                    Very intriguing always, and what keeps me in the search.

                    Regards,
                    Eugene Klodzen


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • MGMojher
                    Eugene, Kladzany VT/PV zemplín. 1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873–1902 Kladzán, 1907–1913 Klazány, 1920– Kladzany Interesting that
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 8, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Eugene,

                      Kladzany VT/PV zemplín.
                      1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873–1902 Kladzán, 1907–1913 Klazány, 1920– Kladzany

                      Interesting that Kladzan was the name of a village that is 23 miles from Vinne. The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing under Kladzan. I have found that surnames have been based on village names. Obviously Kladzan is a Slovak word and may be the bases for your surname.

                      Was you Kladzan family living in Vinne?

                      From: gklodzen@...
                      Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 7:44 AM
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      Subject: [S-R] Re: Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI


                      Recent Y chromosome DNA matches have turned up a number of possible ancestral connections with men of Polish descent. Here's the question;

                      But I've been advised that my ancestral surname KLADZAN is neither a Slovak nor a Hungarian surname, even though the record shows that my ancestors spoke the Slovak language and were from Old Hungary, the eastern village of VinneBanka, before Old Hungary became present day Slovakia. So what then might my surname be? If VARADZIN is of Polish origin, and given the deeper ancestry results of my DNA tests, I've wondered if KLADZAN might not be a deritive of a Polish surname similar to VARADZIN? And might my Slovak ancestors have migrated to village Vinne at some point in time from what is today Poland?

                      Very intriguing always, and what keeps me in the search.

                      Regards,
                      Eugene Klodzen

                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • larryaugustyn@att.net
                      Eugene -- You raise a good possibility regarding KLADZAN, but looking under Polish records on Family Search I do see KLADZIN and KLADZION and KLEDZON. Marianna
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 8, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Eugene -- You raise a good possibility regarding KLADZAN, but looking under Polish records on Family Search I do see KLADZIN and KLADZION and KLEDZON. Marianna KLADZIN shows up a few times married to a Jacobus or Joannes Pictrzyk--- perhaps this is a lead for you?

                        In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Eugene,
                        >
                        > Kladzany VT/PV zemplín.
                        > 1773, 1786 Klaczan, 1808 Kladzany, 1863 Kladzan, 1873â€"1902 Kladzán, 1907â€"1913 Klazány, 1920â€" Kladzany
                        >
                        > Interesting that Kladzan was the name of a village that is 23 miles from Vinne. The 1995 Slovak Census had only one listing under Kladzan. I have found that surnames have been based on village names. Obviously Kladzan is a Slovak word and may be the bases for your surname.
                        >
                        > Was you Kladzan family living in Vinne?
                        >
                        > From: gklodzen@...
                        > Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 7:44 AM
                        > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [S-R] Re: Josephus Joseph Waradzyn Waradzin Varadzin and WWI
                        >
                        >
                        > Recent Y chromosome DNA matches have turned up a number of possible ancestral connections with men of Polish descent. Here's the question;
                        >
                        > But I've been advised that my ancestral surname KLADZAN is neither a Slovak nor a Hungarian surname, even though the record shows that my ancestors spoke the Slovak language and were from Old Hungary, the eastern village of VinneBanka, before Old Hungary became present day Slovakia. So what then might my surname be? If VARADZIN is of Polish origin, and given the deeper ancestry results of my DNA tests, I've wondered if KLADZAN might not be a deritive of a Polish surname similar to VARADZIN? And might my Slovak ancestors have migrated to village Vinne at some point in time from what is today Poland?
                        >
                        > Very intriguing always, and what keeps me in the search.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Eugene Klodzen
                        >
                        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                        >
                      • Zuzana
                        Hi, did you try Vojensky historicky ustav (The Institute of Military History), Krajna 27, Bratislva? They have some WW1 records. Here is the link:
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 8, 2013
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi,
                          did you try Vojensky historicky ustav (The Institute of Military History), Krajna 27, Bratislva? They have some WW1 records. Here is the link:

                          http://www.vhu.sk/index.php?ID=659

                          If you need translation, just let me know.
                          Zuzana

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "larryaugustyn@..." <larryaugustyn@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > My Grand Uncle Josephus Waradzyn was Baptized 15 December 1885 in Lechnica, Kežmarok, Slovakia. According to the family narrative written by my Aunt Helena Augustyn, Josephus died fighting in WWI. That would make his death sometime between 1915-1918 I assume. Is there a good source for Slovakian (or at that time, Hungarian) soldiers of WWI? This is all the information I have on him. His parents were my Great Grandparents Jozef Waradyn and Anna Mejer Waradzyn. There is the expected variations on the surname -- "Waradzin, Varadzin, Waradzy". I do not know if he was married at the time of death -- he would have been around 30-35 years old. Any leads as to WWI casualty info would be appreciated. Thank you!
                          >
                        • gene62cu
                          Thanks very much for the information regarding KLADZAN family members found in the Slovak 1995 Census. Yes, my family lived in village Vinne in the mid 1880s.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 12, 2013
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Thanks very much for the information regarding KLADZAN family members found in the Slovak 1995 Census. Yes, my family lived in village Vinne in the mid 1880s. I was able to confirm this via a microfilm search of church records photographed by LDS volunteers.


                            In later years my family settled in western Pennsylvania, other KLADZANs, cousins, re-located in New Jersey. Interestingly in the US Census of 1900 my family's surname was spelled KLADZAN, however in the Census of 1910 they were listed as KLODZEN, a spelling that for us remains today. Our New Jersey cousins retain the original spelling.


                            Thanks again for your very helpful information,


                            Eugene Klodzen


                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.