Maux/Maxa/Mauson

  • mail4amn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
      Hello and thank you for letting me join! I have been trying to research a part of my family that we have always heard was from Bohemia. Recently, I found on a death record that my grandfather's sister was born in Novy Hrady, Czeckoslovakia. From what I was able to determine, that is now in the Czech Republic, very close to Austria. Is anyone familiar with this area? Or about how to go about finding the records? Thanks!
    • John Yowpa III
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
        Here is the family search place database search based on that name.
        https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localityhitlist&columns=*%2C0%2C0&PLACE=Nove+Hrady&PARTOF=&prePLACE=Nove+Hrady&prePARTOF=

        The key is determining, as you said, which one it is. There are two
        villages by that name. Also, what was the name when your ancestors lived
        there. What year were they there?

        --
        John Yowpa III

      • JohnY
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
          https://familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM97R-93G%3A305047199%3Fcc%3D1930345

          here is the 1921 census

          I did not notice the family name as it did not come across in email, just on the site
        • mail4amn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
            I believe it is the one in Ceske Budejovice district. She was born in 1887. There was also a sister born in 1882, and I believe, she was born in Novy Hrady, also. From the best that I can figure out, their last name may be the "Maxa" spelling. A son was born in Illinois, USA in 1888 under the name of Maux. The father's name was Nicholas and the mother was Rosa (per the son's birth certificate). Have no idea what the mother's maiden name was or when, or if, she married. Somewhere between 1887-8 and 1892, the father died or they divorced or ???, as she married in 1892 to another man. She, in turn, had three more children, one being my grandfather. Thanks for your response.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, John Yowpa III <johnyowpa.iii@...> wrote:

            > Here is the family search place database search based on that name.
            > https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localityhitlist&columns=*%2C0%2C0&PLACE=Nove+Hrady&PARTOF=&prePLACE=Nove+Hrady&prePARTOF=
            >
            > The key is determining, as you said, which one it is. There are two
            > villages by that name. Also, what was the name when your ancestors lived
            > there. What year were they there?
            >
            > --
            > John Yowpa III

          • JohnY
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
              what are the full names on the documents you have?
            • mail4amn
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
                Thanks but the family was here by then. I'm looking more for 1882 and 1887 for births. No idea when or if the parents married. I will get the hang of this yet...

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
                  The parents names are Nicholas J. Maux and Rosa Homolka (I'm not sure that is correct) and the son born in Illinois is Nicholas Joseph Maux. We have noticed a lot of conflicting information on any documents (census, etc.) that she signed and/or gave information on. The birth certificate also states that there were no other living children at the time. She had two living daughters then. The birth certificate also states that they both were born in Bohemia, Country--Austria Hungary. It claims that the father was a locksmith at that time (Bohemia or US??). There is an affidavit attached to the birth certificate stating the birth certificate is correct and signed by Rosa Maux in 1940 (She was an Adamson at that time). I do not have any information on her siblings (if any) or her parents. So far, have been unable to locate Rosa, or any Maux, on any passenger lists. Hope this info helps.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "JohnY" <johnyowpa.iii@...> wrote:

                  > what are the full names on the documents you have?

                • Audrey Nemeth
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
                    One more thing here, according to Rosa's second marriage certificate (from Iowa in 1892), she claims her maiden name is Maxson with her parents as Joseph Maxson and Leonora Bines or Bires.