RE: [S-R] Ellis Island

  • Deidre Heindl
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23 7:54 AM
      No, but when you go into a surname that does come up, it will offer the
      option of soundex matches or alternate spelling options. I, too, have the
      records of my ancestors coming over and they do not show on the site, so I
      emailed them (the site) on friday to ask about it. I think that mine does
      not show because my surname was listed under a pice of tape and it is very
      hard to read, but I would love to get a picture of the boat off of the site
      and it does not give an option of just searching the boat images. I emailed
      the site about that as well.

        > I have been searching the Ellis Island records since it
        > came online and have found nothing pertaining to my ancester.
        > I have the dates that they arrived and the port of departure.
        > I even have 3 of the ships that they sailed over on and still
        > get nothing. I even have a copy of the card to register my
        > grandmother when she arrived in New York and no records of her at
        > Ellis Island. I tried all types of spelling with no luck. Can
        > someone tell me what else to do? I do have all the petitions for
        > naturalization for my ancesters.
        >
        > Jo Ann

      • John/Jo Mulvey
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 23 8:52 AM
          I have been unable to find my grandfather, grand-Uncle or Grandmother and grand aunt though I know their approximate arrivals. But I believe my problem is that they were stow-aways. Great-Uncle Istvan was, for sure, and though he does not appear on the manifest, he did get one of the little arrival cards- i've seen it on microfilm. I wonder if my problem with finding the others is that they were not listed as passengers? any advice would be appreciated.

          Regards,
          Jomil (Vrable) Mulvey

        • Deidre Heindl
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23 11:28 AM
            Any sites I might try first? I am looking for a picture of the 'Amaranth'
            and when I tried to search for it, I got many sites about the flower and
            recipes that use it dried as a recipe!

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 23 11:34 AM
              Can someone tell me how to find records in the LDS
              tapes for Bos^any? It appears my ancestors came from
              what is now known as Bos^any, but was Nagy Bossany
              (and other variations on the Ellis Island records)
              before 1918.

              I have been fortunate to find a number of Skvarenina's
              with the name spelled correctly, but I concur the
              transcribing is very difficult and subject to
              interpretation. One of the Skvarenina's I have looked
              at was apparently travelling with a relative named
              Minarovic(s). The ship's officer started the M very
              high and that person is listed as Uinarovics on the
              text manifest. So I am afraid you have to think
              creatively.

              --- magton <magton@...> wrote:
              > I think these Slovakian names
              > are really hard to
              > transcribe for this index. Any clues on name
              > searches on this Ellis Island

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • Tim Skvarenina
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 23 11:36 AM
                I was unable to get a boat image to download for the
                ship Amerika. I found by searching on the web, there
                are many maritime sites with pictures and histories of
                these ships. If you know the name of the ship you
                might try that.

                Tim

                --- Deidre Heindl <deidreh@...> wrote:
                > I would love to get a picture of
                > the boat off of the site
                > and it does not give an option of just searching the
                > boat images. I emailed
                > the site about that as well.

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • John
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 23 4:30 PM
                  At 11:36 AM 4/23/01 -0700, you wrote:
                  >I was unable to get a boat image to download for the
                  >ship Amerika. I found by searching on the web, there
                  >are many maritime sites with pictures and histories of
                  >these ships. If you know the name of the ship you
                  >might try that.
                  >
                  >Tim

                  I don't know if you tried, but you can right click on the image and
                  download the image by itself and save the rest as a .txt file. It's pretty
                  fast doing it that way. For ship photographs
                  try http://www.kinshipsprints.com/ .

                  John
                • Maureen Pulignano
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7, 2001
                    Linda,
                    I am finding that this is less common. I have about 150 items in my Ellis
                    Island file and there are now only about 10% that will not load the manifest
                    image. However, I ran into a new problem with the database last night. In
                    three instances the link to the original manifest was not accurate -- the
                    ship's name was not the same, the port of embarkation was not the same and my
                    passenger was not on any of that ship's displayable pages.

                    I know that the Foundation has been hard pressed to meet the needs of far
                    more researchers than they anticipated. Using the site on a near daily basis,
                    it is obvious that they are making rapid adjustments. I do hope that we don't
                    lose more accuracy.
                    Maureen