Re: help with marriage record

  • John
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
      It >>> looks like his parents names are Demetrius and Susana Adamov (does it look like Adamov to you??). <<<

      YES

      >>>her father is Andreas Mikula and I can't quite read the mom's name, Catarina maybe?? And I can't make out the last name, looks like Palaz*** ?? <<<

      I am going with Catarina PALASZKO.

      >>> The marriage is between Joannes ???? (that's what I need the help on) and Maria Sztegena. Maria's parents are the same as the above record, but I can't make out Joannes' parents names.<<<

      Only mother's name. I am going with Kusny_ _ _ _. He was illegitimate.

      Strangely, I found none of them in the 1869 Census.
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28474-11504-48?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CDZ:102976320
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
        Julie,
        My paternal grandmother was from Orlov, Helene Scerbak. My grandfather was, Gregor Mojher, was from Hromos.
        On one of my trips I was accompanied by Evelyn Marsh. She connected the Mojher/Mojcher family with the Palesko family. So it appears that we may be distant cousins.
        I am going in September to Slovakia for the seventh time. I will be spending four days in Hromos. If I can do anything for you while I am there let me know.
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
          Thanks John. They are in the 1869 census - there is another Orlov, in
          Sabinov county.

          If anyone can read anything else from the record let me know. Thanks!

          Julie

          It >>> looks like his parents names are Demetrius and Susana Adamov (does it
          look like Adamov to you??). <<<

          YES

          >>>her father is Andreas Mikula and I can't quite read the mom's name,
          Catarina maybe?? And I can't make out the last name, looks like Palaz*** ??
          <<<

          I am going with Catarina PALASZKO.

          >>> The marriage is between Joannes ???? (that's what I need the help on)
          and Maria Sztegena. Maria's parents are the same as the above record, but I
          can't make out Joannes' parents names.<<<

          Only mother's name. I am going with Kusny_ _ _ _. He was illegitimate.

          Strangely, I found none of them in the 1869 Census.
          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28474-11504-48?cc=1986782
          <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28474-11504-48?cc=1986782&wc=
          MMRC-CDZ:102976320> &wc=MMRC-CDZ:102976320

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
            >>> Thanks John. They are in the 1869 census - there is another Orlov, in Sabinov county. <<<

            Oops. My misteak!
          • Julie Mark
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
              Now that would be a small world!! Did you look at the image, does it look like it could Palesko? Wish I had something for you to look for while you’re there. I have some cousins who did a trip years ago to Orlov and they shared everything they found then and with the LDS records on line I feel like I have found all there is to be found. I believe they found a living relative, but I don’t think they knew her exact connection, so no real information came from her.

              I am excited to be adding a couple new names to my tree. If I think of anything else I will let you know. I am looking for a death cert from about 1901/1902 in Kapusany. Have written to the city with no luck. Also found a person on facebook with my same last name and he lives in the village where those ancestors are from and I contacted him. He responded that he would see what he could do, but I have not heard back.

              Thank you,

              <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11616-32008-52?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11616-32008-52?cc=1554443&wc=M> &wc=M

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
                I saw Catarina Palaszko, with the modern spelling being Palesko. With the “z” in the name one knows that this would be the Hungarian spelling of the name vs. the Slovak one.
                I have been to Orlov a couple of times. I interviewed a Helene Scerbak there. She was the last Scerbak living in the area. It was wonderful to talk to her, but having married into the family she did not know of my grandmother with the same name.
                https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3APalesko~%20%2Brecord_country%3ASlovakia%20%2Bresidence_place%3AOrlov~&collection_id=1554443 This is a link for Palesko/Slovakia/Orlov. It came up with 685 listings. As with this search method there is a lot of shaft among berries. You may find a number of relatives among them.
                I mentored a student whose mother is from Kapusany. I have found that it can actually be easier for us to find records than those in Slovakia. City Halls are suppose to have kept only records from 1895 to the present. The rest have gone to the archives. The City Hall records are very valuable and going in person gets a lot more done. It also helps because you never know what you might discover on those visits. That is how I learned about “do” alias names. Those “do” names are an oral tradition which made it impossible to know of them unless you were there.
                Use those Facebook contacts. A month ago a Juraj Mojcher contacted me and he had the complete modern family tree for my branch of the Mojcher family with 108 names. This was a wonderful surprise. During my six trips I discovered that genealogy for most Slovaks is limited to those relatives they met in person. So it was rare to get beyond grand-parents.
                On my second trip I talked to the Mayor of Plavnica, who was into genealogy, about a certain family. He told me that they were a new family in town and had come from a certain village. I was shocked to here that since the family had been in the Plavnica records for over a hundred years. They do have long histories in Slovakia and some times equally long memories.
                Michael

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2013
                  On Jul 5, 2013, at 5:21 PM, Julie Mark wrote:

                  > Now that would be a small world!! Did you look at the image, does it look like it could Palesko? Wish I had something for you to look for while you�re there. I have some cousins who did a trip years ago to Orlov and they shared everything they found then and with the LDS records on line I feel like I have found all there is to be found. I believe they found a living relative, but I don�t think they knew her exact connection, so no real information came from her.
                  >
                  > I am excited to be adding a couple new names to my tree. If I think of anything else I will let you know. I am looking for a death cert from about 1901/1902 in Kapusany. Have written to the city with no luck. Also found a person on facebook with my same last name and he lives in the village where those ancestors are from and I contacted him. He responded that he would see what he could do, but I have not heard back.
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > Julie

                  Bob Lupcho
                  boblupcho@...

                • Corinne C. Musto
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2013
                    Hi Julie,

                    I saw that you had sent for a death record to Kapusany.  This is where my grandmother and her family were from.  Their last name was Bosak/Bozak. Have you come across this? What surname are you researching from this village?

                    Corinne

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2013
                      Hi Corinne - My great grandfather Stephan RAD'AK was born in a neighboring
                      town, Fulianka/Fulyan and later moved to Kapusany with his wife (who was
                      from a far away village) and his mother Anna FEDOR Rad'ak. His mother died
                      there I believe about 1901/1902, have not been able to find anyone from this
                      family in any of the church records for Fulianka - except my great
                      grandfather's birth and marriage. I don't recall seeing your names, but I
                      do have all the records on my computer from Kapusany. I have not had luck
                      finding my family on the 1869 census either.

                      Julie

                      Hello - I need so some help reading a marriage record, actually two that are
                      on the same page here:

                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11616-32008-52?cc=1554443
                      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11616-32008-52?cc=1554443
                      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11616-32008-52?cc=1554443&wc=M
                      > &wc=M
                      99C-W8V:723592923> &wc=M99C-W8V:723592923

                      **The first one is the first record on the right hand page - marriage
                      between Michael Sztegena and Maria Mikula. It looks like his parents names
                      are Demetrius and Susana Adamov (does it look like Adamov to you??). Her
                      parents are where I'm having trouble - her father is Andreas Mikula and I
                      can't quite read the mom's name, Catarina maybe?? And I can't make out the
                      last name, looks like Palaz*** ??

                      They are all Greek Catholic and I see Ing. everywhere which is farmer,
                      right? I can't make out the other place names in the record besides Orlo.
                      Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

                      **2nd record is on the left hand page #1 under the year that looks like
                      1859, but I think it's 1839 because the next page is 1840. The marriage is
                      between Joannes ???? (that's what I need the help on) and Maria Sztegena.
                      Maria's parents are the same as the above record, but I can't make out
                      Joannes' parents names. Anything you can read I would appreciate.

                      Thanks!

                      Julie

                      <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2013
                        http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Bosak/Presov/

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 7, 2013
                          Dear Corinne:

                          I saw that you were searching for the surname BOSAK/BOZAK around the
                          PRESOV/KAPUSANY area. One of my best friends is a BOZIK and if I remember
                          correctly, his ancestors are from the area around KURIMA and/or KURIMKA (between
                          BARDEJOV and SVIDNIK), about 10 villages north or so of PRESOV/KAPUSANY so
                          if you find any connection please let me know and I can put you in touch
                          with my friend.

                          Best regards,

                          David