Re: [S-R] Re: The name Gortek

  • rmark40773
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 4, 2013
      Again, I would guess that you will find the Gortek name in the Greek Catholic church records.

      I grew up in a community with a wealth of churches with Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Russian, Polish heritages. I used to think there was one main distinction - those with the regular cross (roman Catholic - under the Pope) and those with the Orthodox/Byzantine Cross (not under the Pope). I have recently become aware that you can have a Greek Byzantine Catholic church that is under the Pope. Going to Mass there does fulfill your Sunday mass obligation under the Roman Catholic church. To make it even more confusing, the priests at the Greek Byzantine Catholic church can marry. The Greek Catholic church uses the Byzantine Cross but is not Orthodox.

      I believe it is incorrect to say that Greek Catholic = Orthodox.

      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 5, 2013
        Update: John was Roman Catholic and Anna was Greek Catholic. They were married here in the States. Since they didn't immigrate together I'll assume they didn't know each other in Slovakia. Contrary to what the 1910 and 1930 census say, John and Anna were about the same age. So, armed with this knowledge of his religion I'll start checking out the Roman Catholic Church records.