Re: The name Gortek

  • John
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 3, 2013
      >>> The Anna you found on LDS was his wife. He died in 1931. The "John Gortek" listed on that 1940 census was his and Anna's son. Anna (maiden name: "Barilla") was born in Trebisov, Slovakia <<<

      That's your REALLY BIG clue.

      Trebisov is 7 km from NIzny Zipov. That's where to look for [Gortek].

      OLD NAMES of the village(town):
      1773 Magy[ar]-Isép, Žipow, 1786 Magyar-Ischép, Uherský Žipow, 1808 Magyar-Izsip, Magy[ar]-Isép, [Magyar]-Isip, Uherský Žipow, N[ižní] Ssipow, 1863–1913 Magyarizsép, 1920–1948 Uhorský Žipov, 1948– Nižný Žipov

      The problem is that the church records cover periods that are too recent and so they have been restricted from being placed online.

      As well, the 1869 Hungarian Census for Zemplen Megye (county) is screwed up and the LDS techs have not fixed the problem bure aware of it.

      Figure out the relevant religion and order the films. The 1869 Census might be an easy way to get their religion if you are unsure.

      Toketerebes (Trebisov) FHL INTL Film 720013
      Magyarizsép (Uhorský Zipov) -- Magyarjesztreb (Jastrabie) FHL INTL Film 722737
    • gusami1
      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 5, 2013
        Update: John was Roman Catholic and Anna was Greek Catholic. They were married here in the States. Since they didn't immigrate together I'll assume they didn't know each other in Slovakia. Contrary to what the 1910 and 1930 census say, John and Anna were about the same age. So, armed with this knowledge of his religion I'll start checking out the Roman Catholic Church records.