Help with terms

  • Robert Pollak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
      I have been searching records to try and determine the place of birth of my gg-grandmother.  In reading some records I have come across some terms or places that I cannot find the definition of .

       The first one looks like  "Monticola or Monsicola" is right after the name of the father.  It is the birth of Michael and is the third entry on the left side of the page.
      Michael Petrustsak birth  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22658-4454-65?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FJD:n1035086620

      The next record has what appears to be  " Banyocs" or "Danyocs" in the column showing the location.   It is the record of the birth of Karoly Petrustsak and is on the right side of the page.
      Karoly Petrustsak   https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22658-4188-64?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FJD:n1035086620

      Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

      Bob Pollak

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
        Bob,
        These are not places but descriptive terms. The place is clearly Iglo in both, Monticola is Latin, means a mountaineer or mountain dweller. Banyocs is Hungarian, means he works as a miner or in mines.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

        > I have been searching records to try and determine the place of birth of my gg-grandmother.  In reading some records I have come across some terms or places that I cannot find the definition of .
        >
        >  The first one looks like  "Monticola or Monsicola" is right after the name of the father.  It is the birth of Michael and is the third entry on the left side of the page.
        > Michael Petrustsak birth  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22658-4454-65?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FJD:n1035086620
        >
        > The next record has what appears to be  " Banyocs" or "Danyocs" in the column showing the location.   It is the record of the birth of Karoly Petrustsak and is on the right side of the page.
        > Karoly Petrustsak   https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22658-4188-64?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-FJD:n1035086620
        >
        > Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
        >
        > Bob Pollak

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 27, 2013
          Monticola in Slovak is mountaineer. The interesting thing is the word is after the fathers name where his religion is listed. The mother is listed as RC/Roman Catholic.
          I read the location for Michael as Iglo. Iglo was a name for Spisska Nova Ves. Karoly has a Banyasz Iglo location. Which I could not find. Still there is the Iglo in the name.