S-R is on Moderation for a While

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2013
      Folks,

      Given the various spam messages that have been hitting Slovak Roots as well as other Yahoo Groups, we moderators have decided to temporarily put Slovak Roots on Moderation.

      That means you should still FULLY engage in topics of Slovak Genealogy, but expect there will be some delay between your posting and the message showing up on S-R or being forwarded to S-R members who receive messages by e-mail.

      It also means that we will delete spam messages before they are forwarded to the Group Page or sent on as e-mail.

      This is a temporary measure, and I cannot tell you how long it will last. It seems spammers have developed new methods that must be addressed industry wide.

      Bottom line: share your Slovak genealogy topics!

      Ron M.
      Moderator
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2013
        Two suggestions posted at Slovak World that members here may want to consider:

        Larry,

        I also do what you suggested but I put about 5 to 6 icky addresses that sit at the top and also one that sits at the bottom. Knock on wood, it seems to help.

        Barb G

        In a message dated 6/17/2013 3:49:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        lkocik@... writes:

        Ron

        Thank you for your time and effort.

        This spam is aggressive, almost like a virus, but unlike a virus it's more of a nuisance and embarrassment.

        I tried something I read about and it seems to work.

        The spam attacks your address book and then goes through alphabeticaly
        sending itself to everyone there.

        I entered a phony address in my address book...one that would be first
        alphabetically.

        I used AAA@abctuliponxyz .com

        When the spam [virus] tries to send it, it gets stuck there and keeps
        trying,...and doesn't go any farther.

        I don't know if this really works [or if contemporary hackers are more
        clever]

        I am also very cautious where I go online and what I open and/or download.

        ......Just something to consider.

        larry
      • Gary Gaba
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
          The virus is not on Slovak Roots!! It is propagated any time someone opens
          one of these bogus e-mails.

          Once someone opens one of these, it goes to the address database and
          forwards the e-mail.

          Stop Opening it and it will go away.

          Gary