Returning to Slovakia in early 1900's before WWI RE: [S-R] Stubendek

  • Frank R Plichta
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 10, 2013
      So far, I have not seen anyone address what was happening before WWI as to
      why some men returned to Slovakia in the early 1900's. My grandfather went
      back some time after 1904.

      We have to look at our history and realize that the Austro-Hungarian Army
      was our adversary during WWI. I did not realize this myself until I visited
      the World War I museum in Kansas City, MO several years ago.

      The US and A-H were on opposite sides.

      I presume that the Slovak men at that time which were part of the
      Austro-Hungarian Empire, may have gone back home to serve in the A-H army.
      That is true of my grandfather. Our family had two photographs of him in
      uniform. One of the post cards was mailed from an A-H hospital during the
      war. I was able to go to the archives in Vienna, Austria and eventually
      received 8 pages of medical records of my grandfather for two separate times
      that he was in an A-H hospital.

      About 3,000 schools, convents, monasteries and similar institutions were
      turned into hospitals for the A-H army. The Vienna Archives has records for
      those soldiers. Fortunately, the post card we had in the family records,
      was postmarked with the location of one of these hospitals. The archives
      was able to find his records and they mailed them to me. I received them in
      about 3 weeks after I returned from my trip,

      Keep on searching. You never know what you may find.

      Frank Plichta

      "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

      _____

      Message 2 of 27 , May 20, 2014
        John Hello again after a long rest! I am trying to refrence this book again but I am unable to follow the link. Do you know if it still available? I am speaking with a possible cousin and would like to share it but like I said I cannot open, She is  a Stubendekova whos father was born in Tourdossin most of his life and is still living so we are trying to see if we connect-very exciting! Thank you for any guidance on how to find this book again! Kim Coneybear Roos

        On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:
        LDS has online Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Tvrdosín, Slovakia, formerly Turdossin, Arva, Hungary.

        https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

        Krsty 1686-1687 (str. 21-38)
        Úmrtia 1686-1698 (str. 39-58)
        Manželstvá 1689-1697 (str. 59-66) -
        Krsty 1689-1734 (Tvrdošín)
        Krsty 1689-1734 (Medvedzie)
        Krsty 1689-1734 (Krásna Hôrka)
        Krsty 1727-1783 (Hámry)
        Krsty 1689-1734 (Zábiedovo)
        Krsty 1689-1733 (Å tefanov n. Oravou)
        Krsty 1689-1733 (Lafkov)
        Krsty 1690-1724 (Hámry)
        Manželstvá 1697-1734
        Úmrtia 1698-1734 -
        Krsty 1734-1769
        Manželstvá 1734-1771
        Krsty 1769-1772
        Úmrtia 1734-1772
        Krsty 1776-1797 -
        Krsty 1797-1802
        Manželstvá 1772-1802
        Úmrtia 1772-1802
        Krsty 1803-1827
        Manželstvá 1803-1845
        Úmrtia 1803-1831
        Krsty 1828-1844
        Úmrtia 1831-1845
        Krsty 1844-1881 -

        Film ONLY for this part
        Krsty 1881-1899 = Film #2062269 Items 1-4
        Manželstvá 1844-1896
        Úmrtia 1844-1906 -

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Roos" <kimroos@...> wrote:

        > Hi All-
        > I am new. I am trying to work on my family tree but have run into road blocks so I am seeking help, input or advice-here goes!
        > I am trying to search for my family roots in Slovkia-Which was listed as Tvrdošín Hungary on the passenger list when my Great grandparents came over. Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no info? I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC. My Grandfather was Joseph Stubendek, born Sept 26 1908 in NYC, three of his siblings were also born here. He and his sister Julia came back to nyc around 1924-1930. I have lost all contact with family members here or there. My Grandfather and his sister had passed away. Their parents were Anna and Mehal Stubendek. I live in Maine and just would love to know more about them and who is left of their family. Any help/advice welcome! Kim Roos
        > Kim Roos
        > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
        > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
        > Jonesboro, Me 04648
        > 207-434-2674
        > www.hatchknoll.com
        > fresh, local, lovingly raised

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            SLOVAK-ROOTS-digest@yahoogroups.com
            SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 27 , May 20, 2014
          The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

          Below is info from the telephone directory.

        • kimroos tds.net
          Message 4 of 27 , May 21, 2014
            this was the link sent to me last year that I cannot access, can anyone? And if not where can I find this book? https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

            On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM, 'William C. Wormuth' senzus@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

            Below is info from the telephone directory.

            Stubendek - telefónne čísla a adresa | Telefónny zoznam
            Telefónne čísla a adresy v online telefónnom zozname s informáciami od operátorov Telekom, Orange, Telefónica O2 a operátorov alternatívnych pevných sietí.
            Preview by Yahoo