Re: [S-R] Stubendek

  • krisstrot
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 10, 2013
      Kim, to answer this question:

      I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC.

      My grandfather, his sister and his brother all came from Slovakia to Philadelphia in the early 1900's. I know my grandfather sent money back to his father; I have a letter of accounting from his father telling him what he spent the money on. One thing was to buy some land, several acres that were good for farming. This shows he intended to go back eventually!

      The brother came here in 1898, and went back a couple years later. Then he came again a few years later, followed by his wife and son. He had two daughters after that; the son died at age 9. After the son died, he and his wife and daughters went back to Slovakia. I think that was the plan all along. Make some money, then go home. They were hard workers and were able to save up for the return trip. I think all the family members lived in the same house, thereby saving on expenses.

      I was able to find records of theirs from a Savings Bank in Philly, which not only held their money in savings, but also booked passage for them. In looking at those bank records, most of the savings were to enable others to come to the U.S. The records list who is saving the money and who is coming over from the old country. In only a few instances did I see the ships going BACK to Slovakia; most of them were coming FROM there!

      The sister came, got married, had two children. She and her family also went back. Both families went back around 1913. Too bad! Both husbands were killed in WWI. Two widows and four children. All the kids were born in the US and has US citizenship. One of the widows died in 1918 from the Spanish flu.

      My grandfather stayed here, eventually moving to Detroit. He worked hard, made pretty good money, and supported the family back home. I have copies of money order receipts. Even though he wasn't a rich man, he made enough to support those family members in pretty good style [he bought them a house]. He eventually married in 1922, and the plan was to move back home for good. I have receipts for money transferred to Deutsch Bank in Slovakia. However, his wife (my grandmother) longed for her friends and lifestyle in the U.S. (and I bet didn't like sharing a household with the widow and 4 kids), so they moved back to Detroit shortly after that. My grandfather continued to support the family, particularly since there were no husbands to make a living. He supported them even into the 1960's.

      One of the orphans came back to the U.S. in 1923 because my grandfather sponsored her and provided for her until she could make a living on her own. It was easy enough, because she had been born in the U.S.
      She became a serving girl in the home of a wealthy family and was able to make plenty of money (by her standards). She never went back!

      Hope this gives you some insight. I know I am particularly blessed because my grandfather never threw anything away; but also because I was able to find the Savings Bank records in Philly. Believe it or not, those records were on Ancestry.com!!

      Kris in Texas
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 10, 2013
        So far, I have not seen anyone address what was happening before WWI as to
        why some men returned to Slovakia in the early 1900's. My grandfather went
        back some time after 1904.

        We have to look at our history and realize that the Austro-Hungarian Army
        was our adversary during WWI. I did not realize this myself until I visited
        the World War I museum in Kansas City, MO several years ago.

        The US and A-H were on opposite sides.

        I presume that the Slovak men at that time which were part of the
        Austro-Hungarian Empire, may have gone back home to serve in the A-H army.
        That is true of my grandfather. Our family had two photographs of him in
        uniform. One of the post cards was mailed from an A-H hospital during the
        war. I was able to go to the archives in Vienna, Austria and eventually
        received 8 pages of medical records of my grandfather for two separate times
        that he was in an A-H hospital.

        About 3,000 schools, convents, monasteries and similar institutions were
        turned into hospitals for the A-H army. The Vienna Archives has records for
        those soldiers. Fortunately, the post card we had in the family records,
        was postmarked with the location of one of these hospitals. The archives
        was able to find his records and they mailed them to me. I received them in
        about 3 weeks after I returned from my trip,

        Keep on searching. You never know what you may find.

        Frank Plichta

        "Searching the World for PLICHTAs"

        _____

        Message 3 of 27 , May 20, 2014
          John Hello again after a long rest! I am trying to refrence this book again but I am unable to follow the link. Do you know if it still available? I am speaking with a possible cousin and would like to share it but like I said I cannot open, She is  a Stubendekova whos father was born in Tourdossin most of his life and is still living so we are trying to see if we connect-very exciting! Thank you for any guidance on how to find this book again! Kim Coneybear Roos

          On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:
          LDS has online Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Tvrdosín, Slovakia, formerly Turdossin, Arva, Hungary.

          https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

          Krsty 1686-1687 (str. 21-38)
          Úmrtia 1686-1698 (str. 39-58)
          Manželstvá 1689-1697 (str. 59-66) -
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Tvrdošín)
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Medvedzie)
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Krásna Hôrka)
          Krsty 1727-1783 (Hámry)
          Krsty 1689-1734 (Zábiedovo)
          Krsty 1689-1733 (Å tefanov n. Oravou)
          Krsty 1689-1733 (Lafkov)
          Krsty 1690-1724 (Hámry)
          Manželstvá 1697-1734
          Úmrtia 1698-1734 -
          Krsty 1734-1769
          Manželstvá 1734-1771
          Krsty 1769-1772
          Úmrtia 1734-1772
          Krsty 1776-1797 -
          Krsty 1797-1802
          Manželstvá 1772-1802
          Úmrtia 1772-1802
          Krsty 1803-1827
          Manželstvá 1803-1845
          Úmrtia 1803-1831
          Krsty 1828-1844
          Úmrtia 1831-1845
          Krsty 1844-1881 -

          Film ONLY for this part
          Krsty 1881-1899 = Film #2062269 Items 1-4
          Manželstvá 1844-1896
          Úmrtia 1844-1906 -

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Roos" <kimroos@...> wrote:

          > Hi All-
          > I am new. I am trying to work on my family tree but have run into road blocks so I am seeking help, input or advice-here goes!
          > I am trying to search for my family roots in Slovkia-Which was listed as Tvrdošín Hungary on the passenger list when my Great grandparents came over. Has anybody been able to trace back family roots with little to no info? I m also curious also how my ancestors were able to afford to come over and go back and why they did not stay in NYC. My Grandfather was Joseph Stubendek, born Sept 26 1908 in NYC, three of his siblings were also born here. He and his sister Julia came back to nyc around 1924-1930. I have lost all contact with family members here or there. My Grandfather and his sister had passed away. Their parents were Anna and Mehal Stubendek. I live in Maine and just would love to know more about them and who is left of their family. Any help/advice welcome! Kim Roos
          > Kim Roos
          > Garden Side Dairy @ Hatch Knoll Farm
          > 29 Hatch Knoll Rd
          > Jonesboro, Me 04648
          > 207-434-2674
          > www.hatchknoll.com
          > fresh, local, lovingly raised

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              SLOVAK-ROOTS-digest@yahoogroups.com
              SLOVAK-ROOTS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 27 , May 20, 2014
            The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

            Below is info from the telephone directory.

          • kimroos tds.net
            Message 5 of 27 , May 21, 2014
              this was the link sent to me last year that I cannot access, can anyone? And if not where can I find this book? https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FM99C-H1N%3A815121033%3Fcc%3D1554443

              On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM, 'William C. Wormuth' senzus@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              The name is Stubendek [Shtuh-behn-dehk] and town is Tvrdoisin [Tvrrdo-sheen].  accent marks over the "S and  s" = sh

              Below is info from the telephone directory.

              Stubendek - telefónne čísla a adresa | Telefónny zoznam
              Telefónne čísla a adresy v online telefónnom zozname s informáciami od operátorov Telekom, Orange, Telefónica O2 a operátorov alternatívnych pevných sietí.
              Preview by Yahoo