Ellis Island Web Site

  • PHILBAER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2001
      Dear Group:
      Several people have posted with frustrations trying to use the Ellis Island
      Web Site. As many of us have found out, patience is the key. Seems that all
      of our pent-up demand for immigration records really overloaded the site.
      Hopefully the administrators will correct access problems very soon. I recall
      that that similar problems existed with the LDS site. Let's support the web
      site in a positive spirit and forego negativity that has been running through
      our S-R list - OK?

      Now, for some positive news! I too found that using the EIR site late at
      night or early morning works the best. I located records for my grandmother
      and great-grandmother when they came to America in 1901. I found the ship
      name, port-of-departure, and date of arrival. Interesting to me is that my
      great-grandfather came over a year earlier (I found his records also). Family
      lore was that they came over together - apparently that was not the case. I
      have been searching for this information for two years and now I found it,
      thanks to the EIR web site!

      Here is a question to the group: records for my other great-grandparents
      were not found on the EIR site. I know that my other great-grandmother came
      as a single woman under her maiden name (Anna Majirsky) in 1892, but she may
      have entered through Canada. Are there databases available to search Canadian
      immigration records in the 1890-1892 timeframe?
      My great-grandfather (Janos Medvecz) came in 1890, but I don't know if he
      came through NY or Canada. Any recommendations on where to search?

      Philip (Medvecz) Baer