Re: [S-R] Misko - Miklish

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2013
      Much has been written over the years on how surname spellings have been altered. That is what makes genealogy difficult, as you have found out. The quick solution is to use the Ellis Island website. When you enter a surname it gives you a list of spellings that can be associated with it. I found my great-grandparents under Majher instead of Mojher. Your surname would generate some interesting variations.

      The biggest drawn to America was not the jobs per se, but what they paid in comparison to what they could earn back home. A Golden $1000 could be made in three years here, but not in a lifetime back home as a peasant.

      Your family was caught up in a great migration of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that came to America from Central Europe**. In the county where my family was from there were some villages that almost became ghost towns. It would take some investigation to learn if something in particular took place that might have caused the move. I would jump to the conclusion that Mike’s experience in America was such that he wanted his family to come, not so much something forced them to come.

      **Slovakia has been stuck with the tag Eastern Europe because of its domination by the Soviets. In reality Slovakia has a just claim for having the geographical center of Europe. The Slovaks have an insistence that they be labeled as Central Europe. Old ways are hard to change.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2013
        I guess it probably turned out profitable for them. I was just reading an article about the Jamison Coal mines (where they worked) It said that, "In 1910, Jamison produced 2.4 million tons of coal and 680,000 tons of coke. The payroll amounted to nearly $1.5 million with $1.09 million paid in cash to 2,169 miners and laborers. This averaged $691.55 a year or $2.30 a day, with miners somewhat higher than the averages.

        Jamison towns were said to be "model mining towns," and use of its company stores was optional with "prices right." This contrasted with many mining operators, who required miners to use their company stores by issuing script for pay redeemable only at company stores.

        I have been through a lot of possibilities at Ellis Island for different spellings but haven't found anything that I believe was him. That was a while ago, perhaps I'll try again since I've found some new spellings.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

        > Much has been written over the years on how surname spellings have been altered. That is what makes genealogy difficult, as you have found out. The quick solution is to use the Ellis Island website. When you enter a surname it gives you a list of spellings that can be associated with it. I found my great-grandparents under Majher instead of Mojher. Your surname would generate some interesting variations.
        >
        > The biggest drawn to America was not the jobs per se, but what they paid in comparison to what they could earn back home. A Golden $1000 could be made in three years here, but not in a lifetime back home as a peasant.
        >
        > Your family was caught up in a great migration of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that came to America from Central Europe**. In the county where my family was from there were some villages that almost became ghost towns. It would take some investigation to learn if something in particular took place that might have caused the move. I would jump to the conclusion that Mike’s experience in America was such that he wanted his family to come, not so much something forced them to come.
        >
        > **Slovakia has been stuck with the tag Eastern Europe because of its domination by the Soviets. In reality Slovakia has a just claim for having the geographical center of Europe. The Slovaks have an insistence that they be labeled as Central Europe. Old ways are hard to change.

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2013
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Majher/slovensko/

          ________________________________

[...]

          In the late 1800âs Magyarization policy where in all records only Hungarian
          can be used caused Slovak surnames and given names to be given a Hungarian
          spelling. So, do not be surprised you may find those names to be spelled
          different prior to Magyarization.

          Peter âAmericanizedâ Miklos to Miklish.

          Mikulas is Slovak for Nicholas. The pronunciation of Mikulas is close enough to Mike to not be surprised that he used that in the USA. Mikulas Miklos would be almost like saying his name was Nicholas Nicholas. Because Miklos is Hungarian for Nicholas. If you saw the surname as Misko, I would suspect that is probably the original before Magyarization.

          It appears that âMikeâ was a âcommuterâ to the USA. The Shipâs
          Manifest had the childrenâs ages as 15, 9.5 and 3.5. That gaps between Maria and Peter and Miklos seems to show that âMikeâ seems to have made three trips to America. On the third he stayed permanently. Normally, you would see children every year or two, so to have such gaps between children makes one suspect two trips back home from America.

        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2013
            William,
            Thanks for the link. I do know that my paternal ancestors came from Hromos. There the name is spelled Mojcher (I found out why in the records), in the USA it is Mojher.