Misko - Miklish

  • bassfantastic
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7 9:01 PM
      I decided to start a new thread because I didn't want to step on the other thread that was originally for another member.

      I have seen it spelled Miskov and in older records in Cyrillic it's Mishko. Are you aware of any particular events at that time which would prompt them to move to the United States? It's hard to believe things would be worse than a miner here. Actually their youngest son died in a mine accident at age 17.

      In addition to the 3 children that came on the ship with their mother, there were also 2 other births where the child died.I have found the birth and death records for all the children.
      Obviously he was back and forth but for the life of me I can't even find one ship passenger list from him.

      1885 Gyorgy died 1889
      1886 Mary (came on ship)
      1893 Peter (came on ship)
      1897 Anna died 1898
      1899 Nicholas (came on ship)

      Nacina Ves MI/KI zemplín.
      1773 Natafalva, Naczina Wes, 1786 Natafalwa, Nacsina Wes, 1808 Nátafalva,
      Náthafalva, Nacyná Wes, Natiná Wes, 1863â€"1913 Nátafalva, 1920â€" Nacina
      Ves

      Natafalva is now Nacina Ves in the orkes/district of Michalovce in far Eastern
      Slovakia.

      In the late 1800’s Magyarization policy where in all records only Hungarian
      can be used caused Slovak surnames and given names to be given a Hungarian
      spelling. So, do not be surprised you may find those names to be spelled
      different prior to Magyarization.

      Peter “Americanized” Miklos to Miklish.

      Mikulas is Slovak for Nicholas. The pronunciation of Mikulas is close enough to Mike to not be surprised that he used that in the USA. Mikulas Miklos would be almost like saying his name was Nicholas Nicholas. Because Miklos is Hungarian for Nicholas. If you saw the surname as Misko, I would suspect that is probably the original before Magyarization.

      It appears that “Mike” was a “commuter” to the USA. The Ship’s
      Manifest had the children’s ages as 15, 9.5 and 3.5. That gaps between Maria and Peter and Miklos seems to show that “Mike” seems to have made three trips to America. On the third he stayed permanently. Normally, you would see children every year or two, so to have such gaps between children makes one suspect two trips back home from America.
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8 8:10 AM
        Much has been written over the years on how surname spellings have been altered. That is what makes genealogy difficult, as you have found out. The quick solution is to use the Ellis Island website. When you enter a surname it gives you a list of spellings that can be associated with it. I found my great-grandparents under Majher instead of Mojher. Your surname would generate some interesting variations.

        The biggest drawn to America was not the jobs per se, but what they paid in comparison to what they could earn back home. A Golden $1000 could be made in three years here, but not in a lifetime back home as a peasant.

        Your family was caught up in a great migration of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that came to America from Central Europe**. In the county where my family was from there were some villages that almost became ghost towns. It would take some investigation to learn if something in particular took place that might have caused the move. I would jump to the conclusion that Mike’s experience in America was such that he wanted his family to come, not so much something forced them to come.

        **Slovakia has been stuck with the tag Eastern Europe because of its domination by the Soviets. In reality Slovakia has a just claim for having the geographical center of Europe. The Slovaks have an insistence that they be labeled as Central Europe. Old ways are hard to change.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8 10:58 AM
          I guess it probably turned out profitable for them. I was just reading an article about the Jamison Coal mines (where they worked) It said that, "In 1910, Jamison produced 2.4 million tons of coal and 680,000 tons of coke. The payroll amounted to nearly $1.5 million with $1.09 million paid in cash to 2,169 miners and laborers. This averaged $691.55 a year or $2.30 a day, with miners somewhat higher than the averages.

          Jamison towns were said to be "model mining towns," and use of its company stores was optional with "prices right." This contrasted with many mining operators, who required miners to use their company stores by issuing script for pay redeemable only at company stores.

          I have been through a lot of possibilities at Ellis Island for different spellings but haven't found anything that I believe was him. That was a while ago, perhaps I'll try again since I've found some new spellings.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > Much has been written over the years on how surname spellings have been altered. That is what makes genealogy difficult, as you have found out. The quick solution is to use the Ellis Island website. When you enter a surname it gives you a list of spellings that can be associated with it. I found my great-grandparents under Majher instead of Mojher. Your surname would generate some interesting variations.
          >
          > The biggest drawn to America was not the jobs per se, but what they paid in comparison to what they could earn back home. A Golden $1000 could be made in three years here, but not in a lifetime back home as a peasant.
          >
          > Your family was caught up in a great migration of the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that came to America from Central Europe**. In the county where my family was from there were some villages that almost became ghost towns. It would take some investigation to learn if something in particular took place that might have caused the move. I would jump to the conclusion that Mike’s experience in America was such that he wanted his family to come, not so much something forced them to come.
          >
          > **Slovakia has been stuck with the tag Eastern Europe because of its domination by the Soviets. In reality Slovakia has a just claim for having the geographical center of Europe. The Slovaks have an insistence that they be labeled as Central Europe. Old ways are hard to change.

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8 2:09 PM
            http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Majher/slovensko/

            ________________________________

[...]

            In the late 1800âs Magyarization policy where in all records only Hungarian
            can be used caused Slovak surnames and given names to be given a Hungarian
            spelling. So, do not be surprised you may find those names to be spelled
            different prior to Magyarization.

            Peter âAmericanizedâ Miklos to Miklish.

            Mikulas is Slovak for Nicholas. The pronunciation of Mikulas is close enough to Mike to not be surprised that he used that in the USA. Mikulas Miklos would be almost like saying his name was Nicholas Nicholas. Because Miklos is Hungarian for Nicholas. If you saw the surname as Misko, I would suspect that is probably the original before Magyarization.

            It appears that âMikeâ was a âcommuterâ to the USA. The Shipâs
            Manifest had the childrenâs ages as 15, 9.5 and 3.5. That gaps between Maria and Peter and Miklos seems to show that âMikeâ seems to have made three trips to America. On the third he stayed permanently. Normally, you would see children every year or two, so to have such gaps between children makes one suspect two trips back home from America.

          • MGMojher
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10 6:03 PM
              William,
              Thanks for the link. I do know that my paternal ancestors came from Hromos. There the name is spelled Mojcher (I found out why in the records), in the USA it is Mojher.