Re: [S-R] Fwd: Unable to deliver your message

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 12 , May 28, 2013
      In this case Yowpa, I believe the spelling is a phonetic spelling of Jopa [Yoh-pah].  I have seen this quite often when there is spellings with Slovak J, such as Zajic~ek [Zahee-cheek] for which they used Zaycek .  Macejka [Mahts ei-kah] Maceyka.

      Although there are many, many, Ellis Island errors, the writers do not make them all.  The immigrants who could not write must have spoken the name and the reviewer had to write what he heard.  I have seen the use of Slovak accent marks on the original manifests.

      When researching you should not believe the name spellings or ages.  I know it increases time spent but you should research the original manifests for accuracy.  Even then errors will be made.  People here will help in translating Hungarian names used often before 1919