Re: Films at the FHC

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 1999
      This seems like a small price to pay, when we are doing what is virtually
      primary research on some of these obscure little settlements in Eastern
      Europe. I tmakes sense to keep the microfilm handy... but I will need to
      complete my personal move and find the nearest FHC before long!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
        Maura --

        Thanks for the info on permanent loan. I was told at the Greentree, PA, FHC
        that this was no longer possible. I'll take your letter next time I go
        there. (Those 1828 Hungarian Census films may take forever to go through!)

        Anabeth Dollins
        axd2@...

      • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
          Anabeth,

          I am hearing sparodic reports that some FHCs are "discouraging"
          permanent loans, however that is NOT SLC policy. What SLC told every FHC
          is to go through their permanent collections and send back any films
          that no patron has used in quite awhile (but only after contacting the
          original person who ordered the film and getting their approval to
          return it).

          I have a friend in Georgia who has had a real problem with this issue at
          her FHC and even had to call SLC about it..... and SLC was not happy
          that her FHC was not allowing her to have the films she wanted in on
          permanent loan.

          The key is to be nice, but firm. If you can't get an answer, leave a
          note for the FHC director, and if that doesn't solve the problem, call
          or write to the stake president (who technically is in charge of the
          FHC).

          But hopefully you won't have a problem. If you do email me privately and
          I'll try and point you in the right direction.

          Maura

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
          sabinov@...
          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
            Do you mind if I ask what kind of information is on these census films? Did
            they count everybody, and say something about where they lived, or what they
            did for a living? I assume this is already on Maura's or somebody's web
            page but I missed it. I did find a web page with a Hungarian census from
            1891 that lists all the small shopkeepers and craftsmen, and found a few
            family names.

            Andrea

            > Thanks for the info on permanent loan. I was told at the Greentree, PA,
            FHC
            > that this was no longer possible. I'll take your letter next time I go
            > there. (Those 1828 Hungarian Census films may take forever to go through!)
            >
            > Anabeth Dollins
            > axd2@...
            >

            > Maura wrote:
            >

            > Getting a film on permanent loan at your FHC does mean that it will stay
            > there, even if you move.
            >
            > Basically you pay one time for a film loan for 60 days, which at our FHC
            > is 60 days from the date it is mailed from Salt Lake City (SLC). Films
            > are $3.25 US, with FHCs allowed to add up to 50 cents for postage and
            > notification fee.
            >
            > Then you can renew it for another 60 days for another $3.25 (note no
            > further notification fee).
            >
            > After that , you pay $3.25 one more time and it goes "permanent",
            > meaning it stays at the local FHC.
            >

            > Another thing that most people don't know is that if you get a copy of a
            > film and its unreadable or bad (cut off or something) you can ask for a
            > better copy. Leave a note on the film box for the person at your FHC who
            > does the film/fiche ordering asking for a better copy. If you can,
            > describe what is wrong with the film. Then they send it back to SLC and
            > another copy is made from the _original_ which is kept in the vault in
            > the mountain outside SLC. It takes about a month or so, but I have done
            > this and its been fine with the second copy.

            > Attention ONElist list owners.
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > We've just added a "NO ATTACHMENTS" option. See homepage for details.

          • Dollins
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 27, 1999
              I didn't have time to study the films when they arrived. I'll have to borrow
              them again this fall after gardening season ends. The Brezova film was full
              of names I recognized from my Chicago childhood, along with about twenty
              columns for facts about each family: people, horses, sheep.

              Anabeth