Re: [S-R] RODNY LIST -- Juray Lesko (born in present day Trnkov, Slovakia

  • Ben Yahoo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2013
      Rodný list is a birth certificate.
      Ben

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 25, 2013, at 4:53 PM, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

      > ~ Julie Michutka
      >
      > On May 25, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Ken Dunay wrote:
      >
      > > I have attached a document entitled "Rodny List". From what I can translate from this Slovakian document it shows my grandfather's (Juray Lesko born FEB 12 1996), parent's names, occupations, ages, Presov District, and Sarisko-Zemplinska Counties? It is signed and dated SEPT 27 1941. Based on my research, my grandfather was born in present day Trnkov, Slovakia near Kapusany and Presov. If I have my history correct at this time Slovakia was a semi-independent state under Nazi rule.
      > >
      > > I do have a few comments/questions:
      > >
      > > It looks like my great grandfather was a farmer -- what was my mother's occupation?
      > >
      > > What does Rodny list translate to in English?
      > >
      > > Why do they note two separate counties?
      > >
      > > Does anyone else have this type of document? What was it's purpose?

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2013
        What Trnkov has been known by throughout it history:
        Trnkov PO/PV šariš.
        1773 Kökény, Kokinya, 1786 Kokény, Kökény, Kokinya, 1808 Kökény, Kokyňa, Kuchyňa, 1863–1902 Kökény, 1907–1913 Kiskökény, 1920 Kokíňa, Kochanovce, 1927–1948 Kokyňa, 1948– Trnkov
        It is in both the Presov kraj and orkes (region and district). It was in the Saris county when part of Hungary. From 1927 to 1948 it went by two names.

        From the 1995 Census:
        V obci TRNKOV (okr. PREŠOV) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najčastejšie tieto priezviská: LEŠKO 3×; LEŠKOVÁ 4×
        There were 3 Lesko males and 4 females in Trnkov in 1995.
        Lesko surname:
        Priezvisko LESKÓ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 7×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách: (By this spelling there were 7 found in 5 locations.)
        Priezvisko LESKO sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 96×, celkový počet lokalít: 34, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách: By this spelling there were 96 found in 34 locations.
        From the online telephone directory: Leško Michal Address: Trnkov 22, 08212 Trnkov Telephone: 051 / 7942258

        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2013
          This is a link that shows the counties in Slovakia when it was part of Czechoslovakia. It has Sarisska and Zemplinska counties.
          http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Counties+of+Czechoslovakia&id=2A7F0C0AE3F87F9AF407D7F4F8AD483F709B106D&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=E45127C6C3C1AC58A1E4A149233D206416A36665&selectedIndex=41

          Kokyňa 22 129 0

          The above was taken from a list of locations in 1940 administered by Presov orkes. Kokyna (Trnkov) had 22 buildings we a population of 129 and no Jews.
          It doen’t answer the two county question. Since Trnkov is so close to Presov it doesn’t seem possible that it was in Zemplinska. My “best guess” is the administrative body that issued the birth certificate covered both counties.