RE: [S-R] Duplicate birth records

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2013
      Karen – hajadon means unmarried. And the deflorata puella literally translates to “ravished girl” – I think sometimes just a way of saying she got pregnant out of wedlock. She is listed as Greek Catholic in both, and same godparents are in both. The family lived in Somosujfalu – modern day Drienovska Nova Ves. But the greek catholic church records were housed in Ruske Peklany. I just happened to stumble on the record in L’evoca through a family search. L’evoca and Ruske Peklany are very close. But I can not locate any Mitro families in the census records for any of these villages.

      Julie

      From: Julie Mark <jkmark@... <mailto:jkmark%40pacbell.net> >
      Subject: [S-R] Duplicate birth records
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:10 PM

      I'm wondering how common it was to have birth records recorded in two

      different record books, neighboring towns. I believe I have found my great

      grandfather, Andrew Mitro, and I have found him twice! (the records are

      identical) The birth date matches all of his records here and his mom's

      name matches what he reported here. Something I didn't know is that it

      looks like he may have been illegitimate. On paperwork here I have found

      him listing his parents as Michael Metro and Anna Gaydos/Gajdos, but in the

      church record for his birth it just says Anna Mitro - and I don't think it

      says she is a widow. Do any of you have ideas of what else could have

      happened? Maybe my great grandfather never knew his father's real name? I

      can not find Anna Mitro or Anna Gajdos in the census for any of these towns.

      Ruske Pekl'any - line 6

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443

      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=

      M99C-W36:615004218> &wc=M99C-W36:615004218

      L'ubovec - last entry bottom right

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443

      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443&wc=M> &wc=M

      99C-W3S:455557454> &wc=M99C-W3S:455557454

      Thanks for your help!

      Julie

    • lrrykck
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2013
        Hi

         I haven't actually seen the record, but there are generalities...

         I have some ancestors whose birth was recorded in two different villiages also.

         It is unusual in what I've researched , but in my case the mother was noted as nobility, so that might explain why the births of the children were recorded in h er villiage.

        I'm only familiar with Roman Catholic records, but i f your great grandfather was illigetimate it would be noted in his birth record. They even dedicate a column to note an illigetimate birth.

         I think your gr8 grandfather's mother was just noted by her married surname. The record would have been entered into the log book after the fact, so maybe the scribe didn't know her maiden name.

          This is only my opinion, and I am only familiar with records in the Zahorie region of western Slovakia.

         larry

        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2013
          I have found the exact same birth records for multiple legitimate births
          in two different towns in Szepes (Spis) that were all within 40-50 miles
          apart over two generations (plus in brothers who also moved to very different
          towns, but all in Spis.

          I don't believe it was a way to "legitimize" an out of wedlock birth. In a
          span of 50 years my family just appeared to have moved around to six
          different towns virtually in a direct line from Podrad (Szepes Szombat) to
          Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo) and Levoca before finally heading to the US. I was so
          perplexed by the duplicate records, I mapped them and came to a
          conclusion/theory that I'd like to present to this group for input and feedback.

          - Theory: births that occurred within a year of another move, were
          recorded in the "new" village, to perhaps establish roots for the newborn. The
          addresses (home numbers) in both church records were exactly the same as
          others have mentioned. Dates, godparents... everything.

          - That they moved to perhaps follow jobs? Would a occupation help determine
          this? On my GGF's marriage
          record, it was recorded twice as "SPACICAMINAR SOLIDAS" but I have been
          unable to translate it

          clearly. "Solidas" should be journeyman, but cannot figure out the first
          word; "Caminus" means a forge,

          furnace, fireplace, even a chimney but that occupation doesn't appear to
          be worthy of multiple relocations.

          It causes me some grief since my family doesn't appear to have any
          ANCESTRAL VILLAGE. They were more like gypsies. If anyone has some insights or
          experience they'd like to share, it appears there are a number of us seeing
          the same odd event. Maybe they were lepers?

          Any insights appreciated.... I wanted to present this to the group months
          ago, but thought it was pretty obscure, so thanks Julie for raising this.

          Tom Kukuk