Duplicate birth records

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2013
      I'm wondering how common it was to have birth records recorded in two
      different record books, neighboring towns. I believe I have found my great
      grandfather, Andrew Mitro, and I have found him twice! (the records are
      identical) The birth date matches all of his records here and his mom's
      name matches what he reported here. Something I didn't know is that it
      looks like he may have been illegitimate. On paperwork here I have found
      him listing his parents as Michael Metro and Anna Gaydos/Gajdos, but in the
      church record for his birth it just says Anna Mitro - and I don't think it
      says she is a widow. Do any of you have ideas of what else could have
      happened? Maybe my great grandfather never knew his father's real name? I
      can not find Anna Mitro or Anna Gajdos in the census for any of these towns.

      Ruske Pekl'any - line 6

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443
      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443&wc=
      M99C-W36:615004218> &wc=M99C-W36:615004218

      L'ubovec - last entry bottom right

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443
      <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443&wc=M
      99C-W3S:455557454> &wc=M99C-W3S:455557454

      Thanks for your help!

      Julie

    • karen lovadina
      Message 2 of 5 , May 24, 2013
        When I look at the records it looks like Anna is listed as Greek Catholic on one record and not the other.  Also in both records she is living in house number 47.  Are those two different villages though?
        There is something written under Anna's name on the one birth record "??hajadon".  I think that signifies her relationship to the child because I've seen it written in the census.
        Maybe Anna is his grandmother?
        Does anyone know what hajadon means?
        Karen
        Sorry that I couldn't be more help

        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2013
          Karen – hajadon means unmarried. And the deflorata puella literally translates to “ravished girl” – I think sometimes just a way of saying she got pregnant out of wedlock. She is listed as Greek Catholic in both, and same godparents are in both. The family lived in Somosujfalu – modern day Drienovska Nova Ves. But the greek catholic church records were housed in Ruske Peklany. I just happened to stumble on the record in L’evoca through a family search. L’evoca and Ruske Peklany are very close. But I can not locate any Mitro families in the census records for any of these villages.

          Julie

          <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11680-151954-61?cc=1554443&wc=> &wc=

          <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443 <https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12692-16614-84?cc=1554443&wc=M> &wc=M

          99C-W3S:455557454> &wc=M99C-W3S:455557454

          Thanks for your help!

          Julie

        • lrrykck
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2013
            Hi

             I haven't actually seen the record, but there are generalities...

             I have some ancestors whose birth was recorded in two different villiages also.

             It is unusual in what I've researched , but in my case the mother was noted as nobility, so that might explain why the births of the children were recorded in h er villiage.

            I'm only familiar with Roman Catholic records, but i f your great grandfather was illigetimate it would be noted in his birth record. They even dedicate a column to note an illigetimate birth.

             I think your gr8 grandfather's mother was just noted by her married surname. The record would have been entered into the log book after the fact, so maybe the scribe didn't know her maiden name.

              This is only my opinion, and I am only familiar with records in the Zahorie region of western Slovakia.

             larry

            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2013
              I have found the exact same birth records for multiple legitimate births
              in two different towns in Szepes (Spis) that were all within 40-50 miles
              apart over two generations (plus in brothers who also moved to very different
              towns, but all in Spis.

              I don't believe it was a way to "legitimize" an out of wedlock birth. In a
              span of 50 years my family just appeared to have moved around to six
              different towns virtually in a direct line from Podrad (Szepes Szombat) to
              Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo) and Levoca before finally heading to the US. I was so
              perplexed by the duplicate records, I mapped them and came to a
              conclusion/theory that I'd like to present to this group for input and feedback.

              - Theory: births that occurred within a year of another move, were
              recorded in the "new" village, to perhaps establish roots for the newborn. The
              addresses (home numbers) in both church records were exactly the same as
              others have mentioned. Dates, godparents... everything.

              - That they moved to perhaps follow jobs? Would a occupation help determine
              this? On my GGF's marriage
              record, it was recorded twice as "SPACICAMINAR SOLIDAS" but I have been
              unable to translate it

              clearly. "Solidas" should be journeyman, but cannot figure out the first
              word; "Caminus" means a forge,

              furnace, fireplace, even a chimney but that occupation doesn't appear to
              be worthy of multiple relocations.

              It causes me some grief since my family doesn't appear to have any
              ANCESTRAL VILLAGE. They were more like gypsies. If anyone has some insights or
              experience they'd like to share, it appears there are a number of us seeing
              the same odd event. Maybe they were lepers?

              Any insights appreciated.... I wanted to present this to the group months
              ago, but thought it was pretty obscure, so thanks Julie for raising this.

              Tom Kukuk