Re: [S-R] Illegitimates

  • Robert Shive
    Message 1 of 16 , May 17, 2013
      It is an interesting topic.  My understanding is that there were illegitimate and illegitimate.  I have some of both in my Slovak family.  My great aunt married a guy who was born illegitimate; but was later legitimized by his mother marrying someone (not his biological father).  He retained his name (his mother's) though his siblings had the name of the man who married her.  I've no evidence that he or his parents were ever considered anything but upright.
      The other type of illegitimate involved my grandmother.  Her mother basically had a one-night stand with a guy she barely knew and had no intention of marrying.  (From hearsay, the guy was most probably Jewish or Roma.)   The resultant community displeasure and disapproval was a factor in her deciding to leave the village and come to the US; my gut feeling is that she probably would have ultimately anyway.  Then she got married in the US and ultimately had five children.  She never told her US husband about her daughter back in Slovakland.  And when, after a family death, my GM showed up at her mother's door in the US, the parents just slammed it on her.  In that case, the sins of the mother were definitely visited on the child.
      My current thinking is that Slovak culture handled illegitimacy reasonably well.  But the illegitimate mother had to conduct herself in such a way as not to be an affront to the community to allow that to happen.