RE: [S-R] Potocsnyak from Ruska Nova Ves.

  • Rick Mayernik
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16 6:25 PM
      No, I have not.

      I learned about the surname only a few days ago...............so do not know
      of variant spellings

      good luck!

      _____

      From: MGMojher <_mgmojher@... <mailto:_mgmojher%40verizon.net> _
      (mailto:mgmojher@... <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> ) >
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24 4:24 PM
        My grandmother's name is Zofia Potoczniak. She arrived in the US in 1913 after her sister Maria traveled here in 1910. They both headed to Phoenixville, Chester Cty, PA. They came from Kotowania and Stupnica, Sambor region of Galicia, which is now part of Ukraine. Their children all stayed in the same area in PA. Her brother came in 1921 and settled in Philadelphia. He had 4 sons, 2 of which I lost track of. There are many Potoczniak on the LDS records (microfilm). I was told by a cousin that the name is like Smith in the old country. I don't know where Ruska Nova Ves, but will look it up.

        Good searching
        Tina

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

        > No, I have not.
        >
        > I learned about the surname only a few days ago...............so do not know
        > of variant spellings
        >
        > good luck!
        >
        > _____

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 4:58 PM
          In the 1995 Slovak Census there were on three listings for Potocniak, so it isn’t the “Smith” in Slovakia.
          http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ruska_Nova_Ves_Presov_PV_Saros_Saris.html This link will give you information on Ruska Nova Ves.

          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

          > No, I have not.
          >
          > I learned about the surname only a few days ago...............so do not know
          > of variant spellings
          >
          > good luck!
          >
          > _____

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 9 , May 24 7:08 PM
            You are searching for the name Potoczniak. [Poh-tohch-nee-ahk],  There are 2 Phone listings in Zilina,  Slovakia: http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Potocniak/slovensko/
            The name may have been originally translated from Cyrilik and is the spelling you have written.  I tried the Slovak  pronunciation/spelling, (Potocnak) and Found 64 phone entries.
            http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Potocnak/slovensko/