Potocsnyak from Ruska Nova Ves.

  • Rick Mayernik
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16, 2013
      Hello.

      Anyone have connection to Potocsnyak surname. A Dorothea Potocsnyak and
      Joannes Repko are parents of my Great Grandmother, Maria Repko, born 1858

      Thank you,

      Rick

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2013
        Rick,
        http://www.google.com/search?as_sitesearch=www.cisarik.com&as_q=Potocsnyak+&submit=Search This is a series of links to the Potocsnyak surname that you may find useful.

        Anyone have connection to Potocsnyak surname. A Dorothea Potocsnyak and
        Joannes Repko are parents of my Great Grandmother, Maria Repko, born 1858

        Thank you,

        Rick

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2013
          http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Potocnak/Ruska+Nova+Ves/

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2013
            I have cousins that there name was Potoczniak, but they changed it to Potozniak.  I go back to Roman Potoczniak born around 1872 in Austria-Hungary.  When they came to America they settled in Scranton, PA and later moved to Buffalo, NY.
            ~Nicole Lodyga Pohancsek

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , May 16, 2013
              Have you run across the a version of the name spelled as Potskanik??

              Ray Veth, Middletown, NJ

              Message 6 of 9 , May 16, 2013
                No, I have not.

                I learned about the surname only a few days ago...............so do not know
                of variant spellings

                good luck!

                _____

                From: MGMojher <_mgmojher@... <mailto:_mgmojher%40verizon.net> _
                (mailto:mgmojher@... <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> ) >

                Message 7 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                  My grandmother's name is Zofia Potoczniak. She arrived in the US in 1913 after her sister Maria traveled here in 1910. They both headed to Phoenixville, Chester Cty, PA. They came from Kotowania and Stupnica, Sambor region of Galicia, which is now part of Ukraine. Their children all stayed in the same area in PA. Her brother came in 1921 and settled in Philadelphia. He had 4 sons, 2 of which I lost track of. There are many Potoczniak on the LDS records (microfilm). I was told by a cousin that the name is like Smith in the old country. I don't know where Ruska Nova Ves, but will look it up.

                  Good searching
                  Tina

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

                  > No, I have not.
                  >
                  > I learned about the surname only a few days ago...............so do not know
                  > of variant spellings
                  >
                  > good luck!
                  >
                  > _____

                • MGMojher
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                    In the 1995 Slovak Census there were on three listings for Potocniak, so it isn’t the “Smith” in Slovakia.
                    http://www.cisarik.com/0_Ruska_Nova_Ves_Presov_PV_Saros_Saris.html This link will give you information on Ruska Nova Ves.

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mayernik" <rmayer@...> wrote:

                    > No, I have not.
                    >
                    > I learned about the surname only a few days ago...............so do not know
                    > of variant spellings
                    >
                    > good luck!
                    >
                    > _____

                  • William C. Wormuth
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 24, 2013
                      You are searching for the name Potoczniak. [Poh-tohch-nee-ahk],  There are 2 Phone listings in Zilina,  Slovakia: http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Potocniak/slovensko/
                      The name may have been originally translated from Cyrilik and is the spelling you have written.  I tried the Slovak  pronunciation/spelling, (Potocnak) and Found 64 phone entries.
                      http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Potocnak/slovensko/