Re: [S-R] Northampton PA.

  • Robert Shive
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2013
      Might you mean Northampton County?  This is in eastern PA.  Major towns include Bethlehem (Bethlehem Steel was in South Bethlehem) and Easton.  Part of Catasauqua was also in Northampton County (some in adjacent Lehigh County).  Phillipsburg, NJ, (across the Delaware from Easton) also had a decent-sized Slovak community.  My ancestral family lived mostly in Phillipsburg, but also some in Catasauqua.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 11, 2013
        There was the cement industry in Northampton Borough, near Allentown and Bethlehem. Check it out on Wikipedia. It was the "cement capital of the world." Home of The Atlas Portland Cement Company. I don't live far from there if you need a picture of a grave or something. Would love to help.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2013
          Many thanks for the offer.  I live in the Midwest and am able to look for some stuff only during visits to family back in PA.  I am still trying to track two brothers, Joe (b. 1869) and John (b. 1874), of the family Gensey--there are many variant spellings.  My g-grandmother was Anna Genci (b. 1871).  Joe was married in 1897 in South Bethlehem, seemingly at a Slovak Catholic church (perhaps Ss. Cyril and Methodius).  He shows up in the 1900 Census in Philadelphia; and then I lose track of him completely. On the chance that he may have come back to South Bethlehem and maybe died there, I have been scouring the PA Dept. of Health Death index.  Haven't found him yet, though there are a number of possibilities of various spellings.  Are there any Slovak cemeteries on the South side?  I am familiar with those in Allentown and Catasauqua.  It's hard to find a guy when you're not sure where he was or how he spelled his name or even when he died. The
          same also goes for his brother John.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2013
            Robert, I'm not sure anyone answered this, but...

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Robert Shive <robert_shive@...> wrote:

            > Are there any Slovak cemeteries on the South side? I am familiar
            > with those in Allentown and Catasauqua. It's hard to find a guy
            > when you're not sure where he was or how he spelled his name or
            > even when he died. The same also goes for his brother John.

            There is indeed a large Slovak Roman Catholic cemetery (also the resting place of many Bethlehem Greek Catholic Rusyns) at William Street & Crest Park Court. (Look at Google Maps -- it's labeled "Slovak Cemetery.")

            There's a ton of info posted at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=46351 .

            Some much older Slovak graves are in St. Michael's Roman Catholic Cemetery on the South Side at East 4th & State Streets. (I happened to walk through it last week.) It's also on findagrave.com: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GScid=46191&CRid=46191&pt=Saint%20Michaels%20Cemetery&

            Good luck!
            Rich Custer
          • Joanne Kaiman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2013
              Robert, My Great Grandparents are buried in Saint Andrews Cemetery which is North Catasauqua
              Lehigh County, Pennsylvania  USA  which huge Slovak Roman Catholic cemetery .  Those are only ones I know .  JoAnne Rubasky-Kaiman
              Fairview Cemetery
              West Catasauqua
              Lehigh County
              Pennsylvania
              USA
              Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cemetery
              Fullerton
              Lehigh County
              Pennsylvania
              USA
              Our Lady of Hungary Cemetery
              Northampton
              Northampton County
              Pennsylvania, USA

              Saint John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church C
              Northampton
              Northampton County
              Pennsylvania, USA

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2013
                Thanks for the info, Rich.  i get up there about every few years.  I'll have to look them up.
                Bob S.